Grimesthorpe Part 3

geotom

Hi to one and all - My mother was born in Chambers Lane, maiden name Chamberlain, it seems to me that a girl that I went to two schools with her last name being Wall lived in the lane. JeanJ our mutual friend Shirley (Moughton) Yeatman worked at Homeric in the lane. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood
Correction

Anybody know what happened to Mr.Collins, the junk shop chap at Grimesthorpe, after he moved to that shop opposite the Victory ? He seemed to have been around forever, a good 30 years, at least. He always reminded me of Peter Cushing.

There is someone on the 'Grimesthorpe' sight-maybe Dennis' daughter- that replied to that question. I think he passed away in a nursing home, he was perhaps in his 80's as I first came across him around 1960 then on Carlisle Road.

Thanks stpetre, I thought he would have passed on by now, but just wondered when he ceased trading after all those years.

He once told us kids, looking at a copy of the 'RAF Flying Revue' magazine, that he'd been a Flight Commander, to which a customer whispered to us " The only flights he's commanded were pigeons !" . He was certainly a local character. RIP.

Thanks stpetre, I thought he would have passed on by now, but just wondered when he ceased trading after all those years.

He once told us kids, looking at a copy of the 'RAF Flying Revue' magazine, that he'd been a Flight Commander, to which a customer whispered to us " The only flights he's commanded were pigeons !" . He was certainly a local character. RIP.

Would never let us kids into the back room,always full of men though funny that.Must have been reading the western comics.:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...
Very quiet on our thread,hope everyones well.

Hi Sheila,

I'm ok apart from the usual moans and groans at age 74 this year, although I'm in pain from a fall at home last week.

I does seem quieter now after my nine years on the Forum with particular interest on the Grimesthorpe and Firth Brown threads. It sometimes feels that I've said all I can. However, I do like talking the same old things over as you do with family and old friends, whilst not digressing too far from the thread subject. The alternative is to let the thread lapse, but we can't have that eh?

I lived at 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 but moved to Shiregreen Flower Estate in 1958 when I was nearly 15 as we needed the 3rd bedroom due to the birth of my sister.

Although I still had a few months schooling to do I decided to stay on at Earl Marshall School and travel from Shiregreen. In Feb 1959 aged 15 I started work in the offices at Firth Browns and made new friends there.

Therefore my formative years were at Grimesthorpe. In the scale of things I was there only a short time, but it felt like a lifetime then and still does. That's why my roots feel to be at Grimesthorpe.

I'll put some pics on later with things that mean a lot to me although may seem insignificant to some in this day and age.

Best regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Sheila, Sorry you've been a bit lonley without us away from this thread,

i'll try and put some stuff on here soon as. I've been a bit busy on Firth Browns

thread with Peter R. Hope your well from the last time we spoke on here.

It's nice that your still around to talk with, seems some have their own reason

why they dont come on here but i'am still here knocking about.

Brian