Grimesthorpe Part 3

geotom

Hello Peter. Great photos, it's nice how the school has put the old tower in such a lovely setting. The School Manager told me the school has just had the tower restored and the bloke who did the restoration asked if he could buy it. They wouldn't sell as they thought the schools histories was more important.

Although the setting looks good today, it's in the pit yard of the old Grimesthorpe Colliery which must have been a grim place in its day.

Edited by cat631

Hello Peter. Great photos, it's nice how the school has put the old tower in such a lovely setting. The School Manager told me the school has just had the tower restored and the bloke who did the restoration asked if he could buy it. They wouldn't sell as they thought the schools histories was more important.

Although the setting looks good today, it's in the pit yard of the old Grimesthorpe Colliery which must have been a grim place in its day.

Hello cat631,

Yes, it was good to see the bell tower in that setting, especially on such a lovely day. It's good to read that the school management appreciates the old schools' histories, as we do.

I didn't know the pit yard site was where you say. I remember the prefabs. Were they on the site after the pit? .

It was disappointing to see that the Earl Marshall bell tower, now at Firvale Schools, was minus the bell. It was there the last time I saw it. Wonder what happened to it.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hello cat631,

Yes, it was good to see the bell tower in that setting, especially on such a lovely day. It's good to read that the school management appreciates the old schools' histories, as we do.

I didn't know the pit yard site was where you say. I remember the prefabs. Were they on the site after the pit? .

It was disappointing to see that the Earl Marshall bell tower, now at Firvale Schools, was minus the bell. It was there the last time I saw it. Wonder what happened to it.

Peter.

Probly sold for scrap

Hi All, Pictures of Grimesthorpe.

1, Smithes Field, the new flats backside off Grimesthorpe Rd.

2, Looking up Grimesthorpe Rd.

3, New Flats, and Woodhill House Nursing Home Grimesthorpe Rd.

4, Margate flats, i can remember the prefabs not sure what year they came down. Brian.

Edited by brian1941
WORDING

In my recent post, Memories of Working Mens Clubs, I mentioned the concert room bar that would not serve women. I've been asked a couple of questions I cannot fully answer.

Is it true the bar would not serve ladies and why? Did this rule apply in all working mens clubs?

Yes it is true, the whole tale is true. Although it's a long time ago certain bits may have become clouded by time. Why did they have such a rule? I don't know and never thought to ask at the time and accepted it. Perhaps the committee thought it inappropriate for unaccompanied ladies to be in their premises, which would be strange as all the WMCs I went in were respectable and well run places.

Did the rule apply to all WMCs or was it peculiar to Firth Park Club?

I'm sure many of you readers will have experiences of WMCs and know the answers, perhaps some of the ladies actually came up against it

Please let us know.

Hi cat631 - Years ago in Canada (or at least British Columbia anyway) some of the older drinking establishments were called 'Beer Parlours', they used to have separate entrances for women, in fact some of these entrances had 'Ladies only' engraved in the stone lintel above the door. fleetwood

Hi All, Pictures of Grimesthorpe.

1, Smithes Field, the new flats backside off Grimesthorpe Rd.

2, Looking up Grimesthorpe Rd.

3, New Flats, and Woodhill House Nursing Home Grimesthorpe Rd.

4, Margate flats, i can remember the prefabs not sure what year they came down. Brian.

Brian, I think the demise of the Margate prefabs was around 1967 along with Wensley Street and Shirecliffe Road (I know that's not Grimesthorpe, just trying to recall where some of the prefabs were.) Also do you remember the cricket field -with pavilion and scoreboard- on 'Smith's Field' ?

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 20:44 ----------

The photo ' Looking up Grimesthorpe Road' depicts Osgathorpe Road to the left and Torbay Road to the right and that big house behind the black gate which I always admired and often wondered who lived there. Reg Drabble-Coach and Bus operator did at one time.

Edited by stpetre

Brian, I think the demise of the Margate prefabs was around 1967 along with Wensley Street and Shirecliffe Road (I know that's not Grimesthorpe, just trying to recall where some of the prefabs were.) Also do you remember the cricket field -with pavilion and scoreboard- on 'Smith's Field' ?

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 20:44 ----------

The photo ' Looking up Grimesthorpe Road' depicts Osgathorpe Road to the left and Torbay Road to the right and that big house behind the black gate which I always admired and often wondered who lived there. Reg Drabble-Coach and Bus operator did at one time.

I think Taffinders lived in it or nearby in the 70"s

I think Taffinders lived in it or nearby in the 70"s

Yes bantycock. However the Taffinder's -the lady from Sutherland Road baths- lived at the next (more than one family I think) building along Grimesthorpe Road, which was a few hundred yards away with no properties, in between.

Edited by stpetre
Add

I believe an elderly gent named Mr Wright lived there in the late 50s. He was a member of the congregation at All Saints church and was reputed to put half a crown in the collection plate.