Consultation For A Low Traffic Neighbourhood For Neepsend And Kelham Island

Hmmm... :huh:

... it does make me chuckle when the public are invited to take part in a 'consultation' of this kind.

Even the most myopically challenged of us can obviously see that this latest 'bright idea' is already done and dusted, so let's not insult people's intelligence further by calling it a consultation.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can come up with one major plan of this type that was significantly changed because the public disagreed with it.

There must be lots of examples...

... otherwise what's the point in having a 'consultation'?  :suspect:

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Its some bus gates and one ways, which will create a much more pleasant place to live, eat, drink etc, all of which benefits the businesses in the area, and all of which will still have motorised access.

The purpose is to push traffic onto the main roads/ring road, rather than cutting through Kelham.

Other cities have done exactly the same, both in the UK and abroad, with great success.

If I'm sat outside a bar or cafe I want to be surrounding by trees and pedestrians, not parked and moving cars.

All the same arguments Sheffielders make against this were the same arguments made in the Netherlands in the 70's against cycling infrastructure.

35 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... it does make me chuckle when the public are invited to take part in a 'consultation' of this kind.

Even the most myopically challenged of us can obviously see that this latest 'bright idea' is already done and dusted, so let's not insult people's intelligence further by calling it a consultation.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can come up with one major plan of this type that was significantly changed because the public disagreed with it.

There must be lots of examples...

... otherwise what's the point in having a 'consultation'?  :suspect:

You and me both know 'consultation' is the totally wrong phrase @Mr Bloke - but the powers that be haven't cottoned on to the fact that we have seen through the smoke, and it gives them chance to waste a bit more money that they claim they haven't got

37 minutes ago, nightrider said:

All the same arguments Sheffielders make against this were the same arguments made in the Netherlands in the 70's against cycling infrastructure.

Agreed. Never really took of that Netherlands cycling infrastructure....oh hang on, it was and remains a resounding success.

19 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Agreed. Never really took of that Netherlands cycling infrastructure....oh hang on, it was and remains a resounding success.

The majority of the Netherlands are somewhat flatter than a large part of the UK - wonder if that might be part of the reason?:huh:

Edited by RollingJ

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

No doubt that comes from a 'pro-cyclist' site?

To get back to what Amsterdam and many other cities have done, they have removed cars from the environments where people want to stroll, to sit and eat and drink, they have planted trees, they have provided space for outside seating. All in all, a far nicer and cleaner environment to spend a bit of leisure time, or to live for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

To get back to what Amsterdam and many other cities have done, they have removed cars from the environments where people want to stroll, to sit and eat and drink, they have planted trees, they have provided space for outside seating. All in all, a far nicer and cleaner environment to spend a bit of leisure time, or to live for that matter.

I understand that, @Bargepole23- but unless people live  in those areas, or can walk there, they are unlikely to increase footfall for the businesses that exist - so you still have to allow transport of some kind, and not everyone is a cyclist.

18 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

... so you mean a bit like Venice then?

I can hardly wait for Sheffield's own forward-thinkers to announce a 'consultation' on their future plans to run gondolas on the River Don. :roll: