South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

14 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

The reason every bus is jam packed these days is the cuts in the service. Queues a mile long everywhere you go,  people packed like sardines into filthy, stinking, non roadworthy shells really.

People like Louise Haigh just vote touting, empty phrases , nothing more. Why, when reviewing bus services, do they not consult the paying public?

My local bus, 120, is full in the morning and evening commutes from Fulwood Rd to town, but the rest of the time, not at all. Brand new buses on that route too, which are clean, tidy and comfortable, and frequent.

The other routes I use - 6, 51, 52, whilst less frequent, are of a similar standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

The reason every bus is jam packed these days is the cuts in the service. Queues a mile long everywhere you go,  people packed like sardines into filthy, stinking, non roadworthy shells really.

People like Louise Haigh just vote touting, empty phrases , nothing more. Why, when reviewing bus services, do they not consult the paying public?

Most daytime services are provide by operators on a commercial basis, ie to make money. If they want to make changes, they can, so long as it’s done at the times specified in the partnership agreement.

As I recall it, cuts to supported ( subsidised) services are discussed with the councils involved and decisions are taken by councillors at the combined authority.

If they did consult, how many people are going to agree with a service being reduced? Many people just want bus services to be there as a backup for when they don’t / can’t use their car, but in reality, they rarely use the bus. What would a consultation tell decision makers that they don’t know?

• Like 1

Thanks, @Bargepole23. That is exactly what you would expect,  and has probably been the situation for ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Two separate issues, but you can't see that - obviously.

I do see it. 

Well I also see the state of our dreadful bus service. 

Why you can't accept the buses are:

Often late. 

Filthy.

Stinking of sweat and urine, beer and cannabis.

Often just don't turn up...is your business. 

1 minute ago, hello1964 said:

I do see it. 

Well I also see the state of our dreadful bus service. 

Why you can't accept the buses are:

Often late. 

Filthy.

Stinking of sweat and urine, beer and cannabis.

Often just don't turn up...is your business. 

I doubt the bus itself is "Stinking of sweat and urine, beer and cannabis.", more likely the passengers. What are the bus company supposed to do, a sniff test of each passenger before he or she is allowed on?

What bus route(s) is this? Certainly not the case on any of the buses I use.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

I doubt the bus itself is "Stinking of sweat and urine, beer and cannabis.", more likely the passengers. What are the bus company supposed to do, a sniff test of each passenger before he or she is allowed on?

What bus route(s) is this? Certainly not the case on any of the buses I use.

More likely the passengers..absolutely.  You may have noticed, as have I, and many people,  the people going to work early morning,  boarding buses  while clearly reeking of cannabis. 

43 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

1. A full bus is more than likely making money so it's not going to be withdrawn/reduced. I'm told by friends who work in the industry that it costs an average of £87-90 per HOUR to run 1 vehicle so picking up a handful at £2 a throw ain't paying the costs. 
2. Let's not get carried away. Some times there maybe be around 30 people waiting at bus stations like Meadowhall or Arundel Gate (waiting for multiple services) but a 'mile-long' 
3. Buses are cleaned daily and leave the depot clean so if it's filthy and stinks by the time you get on one then you need to look at your fellow passengers

4. If they weren't roadworthy then they wouldn't be on the road. They get checked daily before service. The check is basic. They get a more comprehensive check every 28 days. 

5. A politician using buzzwords and a hot topic in order to garner votes, [sarcasm]NEVER![/sarcasm]. 

6. They do consult the public. I've seen PTE with clipboards and tables at interchanges a number of times before changes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Resident said:

1. A full bus is more than likely making money so it's not going to be withdrawn/reduced. I'm told by friends who work in the industry that it costs an average of £87-90 per HOUR to run 1 vehicle so picking up a handful at £2 a throw ain't paying the costs. 
2. Let's not get carried away. Some times there maybe be around 30 people waiting at bus stations like Meadowhall or Arundel Gate (waiting for multiple services) but a 'mile-long' 
3. Buses are cleaned daily and leave the depot clean so if it's filthy and stinks by the time you get on one then you need to look at your fellow passengers

4. If they weren't roadworthy then they wouldn't be on the road. They get checked daily before service. The check is basic. They get a more comprehensive check every 28 days. 

5. A politician using buzzwords and a hot topic in order to garner votes, [sarcasm]NEVER![/sarcasm]. 

6. They do consult the public. I've seen PTE with clipboards and tables at interchanges a number of times before changes. 

Thanks for these points.

Interesting about costs.

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not the bus operators or the councils fault - just the yobbos.

It's one element of safety for the passengers too., where major concerns undoubtedly exist.

Buses in Sheffield are not safe....

• Confused 1