Revised On Street Parking Charges

5 hours ago, BEETHOVEN said:

Sheffield Council seem to trying their best to discourage shoppers.  We stopped in Dorking not a poor area & they had an hours free parking to encourage shoppers to come into town!

Dorking, might not be poor, but in relative population terms it is very small. Circa 18,000 population as opposed to 518,000 in Sheffield. 

You might therefore reasonably expect that the approach to parking will be somewhat different. 

Can you think of any major cities that offer free parking?

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Dorking, might not be poor, but in relative population terms it is very small. Circa 18,000 population as opposed to 518,000 in Sheffield. 

You might therefore reasonably expect that the approach to parking will be somewhat different. 

Why not be the first? Imagine the increased footfall?

No, of course not, SCC hates the driver which is why I go to Meadowhall / Barnsley which offers free and in the case of Barnsley lower priced parking. 

1 hour ago, Lee2 said:

Why not be the first? Imagine the increased footfall?

No, of course not, SCC hates the driver which is why I go to Meadowhall / Barnsley which offers free and in the case of Barnsley lower priced parking. 

The council only control about a quarter of the public parking spaces in the city centre. Their spaces are pretty busy anyway, so giving the parking away free would make hardly any difference to footfall. In any case, the quality or not of the overall “offer” of the place is the main determinant of the attractiveness of a town or city centre to visitors, not whether or not people have to pay a couple of quid to park.

Barnsley is less than half the population  of Sheffield and their overall “offer” is not as good as Sheffield’s. Barnsley does not have the same range of shops or other attractions as Sheffield. Their offer is not as strong, which will be why they feel the need to offer free parking at weekends.

Barnsley use exactly the same kind of traffic management measures as they do in Sheffield, so I’m not sure why you think SCC hate drivers, it’s simply not true.

On 04/08/2020 at 18:38, Planner1 said:

Why?

It's a business day like any other. The private sector charge for parking 24/7, why shouldn't the council?

Less public transport for starters. Even if not free at least 3 hours free parking to try to entice shoppers. Not much can be done with the private sector but at least having on street parking free for a few hours might help.

It doesn't matter to me, I park free outside the center and walk in so no paid parking if I have to go there

13 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Less public transport for starters. Even if not free at least 3 hours free parking to try to entice shoppers. Not much can be done with the private sector but at least having on street parking free for a few hours might help.

It doesn't matter to me, I park free outside the center and walk in so no paid parking if I have to go there

I do not want to pay for your " free" parking " in the City or in Meadowhall.

I do not want share your pollution or increase my journey because of the traffic jam you contribute to while on my way to town and driving aimlessly and needlessly looking for a "free" space. 

I do not want to be obstructed by cars on footways or hindered by traffic lights.

14 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I do not want to pay for your " free" parking " in the City or in Meadowhall.

I do not want share your pollution or increase my journey because of the traffic jam you contribute to while on my way to town and driving aimlessly and needlessly looking for a "free" space. 

I do not want to be obstructed by cars on footways or hindered by traffic lights.

I doubt having some free parking on a Sunday would cause traffic jams and you'd get idiots parking on pavements wether it's free or not. Its rare I go to town anyway and I can park free outside of town and walk in if I do. Buses where I used to live were awful so I wouldn't want to bus it from there. 

On 18/08/2020 at 17:52, Planner1 said:

Actually at the moment I believe that Huddersfield has had free parking for a while: from 15 June until the end of August to encourage people to come back. But I just know that you're going to say it's only a third the size of Sheffield and isn't a city.

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/transport-roads-and-parking/parkingspaces/