Advice On Opening An Indian Takeaway On Gleadless Road

Hi All

New here so was wanting some advice and opinions.

whats everyone’s view on an Indian takeaway on gleedless road?  Thinking near the Victoria pub.
The current market seems to have dated takeaways that have lost there way.

Thinking of starting something new and fresh think modern take on traditional Indian.

cheers.

Edited by nikki-red

I think it’s a good idea keep us posted,what’s you’re idea of a new take on traditional ?

Which type of Indian?  West or East?

What delivery area range? If any?

theres one there or used to be that's been there years,also been a lot of problems on heeley green in the last few years,why not look at lowedges as we don't have a indian takeaway,have Chinese chippys and pizza,but no indian,only a idea.

On 02/06/2020 at 09:49, bassett one said:

theres one there or used to be that's been there years,also been a lot of problems on heeley green in the last few years,why not look at lowedges as we don't have a indian takeaway,have Chinese chippys and pizza,but no indian,only a idea.

I would surmise that Lowedges has as many, if not more, problems as Heeley Green?

On 02/06/2020 at 09:49, bassett one said:

It all comes down to availability of premise if we can’t find empty buildings to take over then we have to work with what we have available and we would have a delivery range of 5 miles so I’m not sure but I’d assume that covered a fair bit ground.

For me, from a business point of view, Heeley Green would definitely be a good location for such a proposition.  High density of potential customers within close proximity and within spitting distance of trendy Meersbrook and Heeley. Before anyone asks, I don't live anywhere near this area. 

I used to live at heeley near the heeley green,visit often,but as ex sec of the greenhill tara inc lowedges  and I was on the heeley tara and trust me ,I feel far safer at lowedges,odd problem but which area hasn't ,the other takeaways are very busy,personally I don't like the local chippys,but I would think,lowedges bradway,dore,Dronfield and beyond would be a good area to cover,a good shop at heeley for position is the old closed chippy on a corner ,opp the Victoria pub,please note I am not against heeley,just offering options ,where theres no curry house competition,good luck.

What about the now shut down medical centre on lowedges road

I think you have to be a bit careful what kind of thing you are going to offer, relative to what the majority of potential customers in that area want.  I don't think it's a bad idea to try and offer something a bit different, but if the majority of your potential customers are wanting simple, "old-school", Indian food, onion bhaji's, poppadoms, korma, bhuna, madras, vindaloo, etc., and you are offering something rather less familiar then you could run into some difficulties.  You need to understand your local market - wherever you set up.  

For example if you were opening up in a student area you'd probably want to consider low-cost, special offers for students, type fare.  If you were opening up in a bohemian, new age, type area you'd want to perhaps be offering lots of veggie/vegan, superfood, type options.  If you were going to open up in a more well-to-do area, where there are lots of professional residents, then something more high-end, featuring things like duck, quail, seafood, might be good to have on the menu.

The other thing is understanding what the competition are offering in that area - because you are going to have to be competitive with them.  If you are going to offer similar then you have to do it better - whether that's price, service or product.  If you are going to do it different then make sure your customers want something different. 

Understanding what your local clientele is actually looking for is going to be even more important than the premises I think.   But good luck to you anyhow - just make sure you do your research thoroughly before committing to it.