Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

11 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Have faith young man.

Let no-one ever say Brexit was anything more than a cult! 🙄

Ironically, this "faith" and repeated notions of British exceptionalism... is one of the reasons for the UK's low productivity.

A primary reason Brexit was always going to be a failure, whishful thinking over any plan, logic or common sense.

10 hours ago, altus said:

There's no point in me wasting my time looking. Should any brexit advantages exist or appear in the future I'm sure some brexit supporter will shout about it from the metaphorical rooftops.

Where Brexit is concerned... "could be worse" is the good news 🤣

Welcome to post-Brexit Britain: Conference center for the world:

https://www.politico.eu/article/post-brexit-britain-conference-center-for-the-world-foreign-policy-global-issues-ai-ukraine-energy-crisis/

"Britain has spent years seeking its place in the world after Brexit. Now it seems to have found a role ... as a global conference center, where the great powers gather to talk.

Without a seat at the European table in Brussels, and also excluded from power-play summits between the EU and Washington, Britain hopes to wield its own “convening power” as it reboots its foreign policy ambitions.

Indeed almost every time a major global issue has raised its head of late — climate change; war in Ukraine, the rise of AI; the energy crisis — Britain's answer has been to host another world summit."

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/post-brexit-britain-conference-center-for-the-world-foreign-policy-global-issues-ai-ukraine-energy-crisis/

"Britain has spent years seeking its place in the world after Brexit. Now it seems to have found a role ... as a global conference center, where the great powers gather to talk.

Without a seat at the European table in Brussels, and also excluded from power-play summits between the EU and Washington, Britain hopes to wield its own “convening power” as it reboots its foreign policy ambitions.

Indeed almost every time a major global issue has raised its head of late — climate change; war in Ukraine, the rise of AI; the energy crisis — Britain's answer has been to host another world summit."

It's very fitting that we are the place where all the world gathers to tell lies on a grand scale.

Make all your future promises here and then go home and forget all about them,  very ably led by our own government.

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

So, good news for caterers and conference venues?  I stand corrected, there are Brexit Benefits. Mainly for London obviously, but as it's only London that matters we should rejoice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

So, good news for caterers and conference venues?  I stand corrected, there are Brexit Benefits. Mainly for London obviously, but as it's only London that matters we should rejoice!

I knew someone would identify benefits.

Haven't we had more good weather since Brexit ?

On 08/09/2023 at 14:58, harvey19 said:

I do not, but I thought because of your location you would have been interested in it.

Did you now?

harvey, were you aware that close to 50% of residents in my location are foreign-born? I might have mentioned it once or thrice.

Whether they are refugees or immigrants does not matter one iota, when every second person in the street, anywhere in Luxembourg, is a foreigner.

Just imagine: going to your local for a pint, place is rammed, every flavour of ethnic background in there and conversations in half-a-dozen different languages.

Exactly like in that Greek restaurant last night, as it happens. Situation completely normal, no different to the office, the local high street, the local supermarket, the bus stop - every single day.

🤯, amIrite? The notion must be enough to give Brexiters like you, and certainly narrow-minded bigots willing to target little boats in the Channel on sight, the worst nightmares.

Yet that is exactly why I don’t have the *slightest* interest in your strawman. 

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

British companies start to grapple with ‘Brexit 2.0’:

https://www.ft.com/content/5f75a690-dab6-46e9-8960-eb0d544d7bd3

“We’re getting new EU legislation continuously. So as the UK stays static, you’re having to treat the EU and the UK as two completely different markets from a regulatory perspective.”

Trade and industry experts warn the rising volume of future EU regulations is leading to “Brexit 2.0” as the 27-nation bloc introduces rules that — even when they are mirrored by the UK — create fresh barriers to trade.

The UK may have recognised the EU’s CE mark to help business, but the reality is that UK manufacturers who want to engage in EU supply chains remain at a constant, marginal disadvantage. Crudely, it’s still going to be less hassle to deal with Pedro in Barcelona than Peter in Brighton, and over time that is going to be increasingly the case.

Despite the Brexiteer rhetoric, it's the EU that will be diverging on standards from the UK... which continues to expended a huge amount of monetary, political and diplomatic effort to stand still, or end up in a worse place than it would have been pre-Brexit.

Horizon being a prime example...  compared to pre-Brexit, the UK now stands to get less cash out than it has put in.

GB News just reported the Horizon deal thus:

"However, a result of Brexit, the UK's access to the scheme has been negotiated at a cheaper rate - meaning Britons can benefit from the scheme without the hefty pre-Brexit price tag."

Literally the precise opposite of reality! 🤣

Edited by Magilla

Since everyone is still scrambling to find a Brexit benefit on here, there you go:

Modern slavery on British farms, delivered courtesy of Brexit. Such a good look 😉

Reported by LeMonde, since you’re hardly likely to find media from either side of the British political spectrum touching on it. Yup, not exactly glowing for Lexiters 😏

19 minutes ago, L00b said:

Did you now?

harvey, were you aware that close to 50% of residents in my location are foreign-born? I might have mentioned it once or thrice.

Whether they are refugees or immigrants does not matter one iota, when every second person in the street, anywhere in Luxembourg, is a foreigner.

Just imagine: going to your local for a pint, place is rammed, every flavour of ethnic background in there and conversations in half-a-dozen different languages.

Exactly like in that Greek restaurant last night, as it happens. Situation completely normal, no different to the office, the local high street, the local supermarket, the bus stop - every single day.

🤯, amIrite? The notion must be enough to give Brexiters like you, and certainly narrow-minded bigots willing to target little boats in the Channel on sight, the worst nightmares.

Yet that is exactly why I don’t have the *slightest* interest in your strawman. 

Still no answer.

There is no need for insults when I am trying to debate a subject sensibly.

I find insults  are usually used to stop debate.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Modern slavery on British farms, delivered courtesy of Brexit. Such a good look 😉

Like everything Brexit was supposed to deliver, going backwards.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Wasn't it an organised protest by a pro Europe group?

Seems very petty if it was, especially during Rule Britannia. I can see why folk would be annoyed.

Edited by Al Bundy