Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

23 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I don't know how that's relevant. It's been done by the current government. That's the only thing we can be sure about.

I applaud you for not using it as a stick to beat the Conservative party but as an objective view of a deal  done by the government.

Edited by harvey19

28 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I don't know how that's relevant. It's been done by the current government. That's the only thing we can be sure about.

It is relevant because

Labour's shadow international trade secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said the UK joining the CPTPP was "encouraging",

31 minutes ago, Axe said:

It is relevant because

Labour's shadow international trade secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds said the UK joining the CPTPP was "encouraging",

It doesn't matter what Labour says or what they think, Labour are not in power and the deal was done by your much loved Tories.

We are aware of your fondness for blame shifting but remember,  the Tories are responsible for EVERYTHING that has happened for the last 10 years or more.

15 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It doesn't matter what Labour says or what they think, Labour are not in power and the deal was done by your much loved Tories.

We are aware of your fondness for blame shifting but remember,  the Tories are responsible for EVERYTHING that has happened for the last 10 years or more.

A poor contribution. 

If Labour have ambitions to be in government after the next general election then it does matter what they think.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

It is relevant because

So are you ok with the UK government handing control over legislative decisions to shareholders of Asian companies?

11 minutes ago, Delbow said:

So are you ok with the UK government handing control over legislative decisions to shareholders of Asian companies?

That is a false statement.  The UK government is not handing control over legislative decisions to shareholders of Asian companies. I judge you to be a poor contributor who just recycles negativity spouted by anyone.  I will educate you and point out the UK already has similar agreements in place to the new trade deal and has never lost a dispute case. 

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

That is a false statement.  The UK government is not handing control over legislative decisions to shareholders of Asian companies. I judge you to be a poor contributor who just recycles negativity spouted by anyone.  I will educate you and point out the UK already has similar agreements in place to the new trade deal and has never lost a dispute case. 

So what happens if a UK government passes legislation, which may be a manifesto commitment, and that has the effect of adversely affecting the profits of a company based in a country singed up to this trade deal?

20 minutes ago, Delbow said:

So what happens if a UK government passes legislation, which may be a manifesto commitment, and that has the effect of adversely affecting the profits of a company based in a country singed up to this trade deal?

The UK government has access to the very best legal experts who will have helped the government to decide to enter into agreements that make up the new trans pacific trade partnership.  You should stop pretending to be an expert.

25 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I think the word to describe this deal is underwhelming.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-government-to-launch-green-energy-plan-but-labour-says-it-is-just-reheated-policy-12593360?postid=5711345#liveblog-body

52 minutes ago, Axe said:

The UK government has access to the very best legal experts who will have helped the government to decide to enter into agreements that make up the new trans pacific trade partnership.  You should stop pretending to be an expert.

A predictably cowardly response. We can already see what happens because this trade deal is already in place for other countries. Colombia banned gold mining in environmentally fragile areas that are vital in the country's water supplies, but because of this trade deal they are being sued for $700m by a Canadian mining company that wanted to mine there. I'll spell out what you are afraid to say: this trade deal doesn't stop the UK passing its own laws, but it means that we will have to effectively pay money to foreign companies for the privilege of doing so. Remind me what the purpose of Brexit was again?

3 hours ago, Axe said:

A poor contribution. 

If Labour have ambitions to be in government after the next general election then it does matter what they think.

Not if there is damn all they can do about it anyway.   which they can't.

We already know that Labour will have their hands full, trying to undo all the knots the Tories have tightly tied,  and that will be another one,  but their thoughts on it will not affect the outcome.