What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

The first Kennedy assassination. The Star headlines were “Kennedy Shot”. The next night “Kennedy Dead”. 1963.

1952, King George dying- BBC radio playing somber music all day (I was only 5), After that, in 1953, the Queen's coronation and Edmund Hillary and his Nepalese sherpa, Tensing (think that was the same day) and the Stanley Matthew's cup final -No TV for us then, watched the game on 'rich' uncle's house on Bolsover Road, Firth Park and I was 6 by then !  Also  around that time, I recall my dad listening avidly to the boxing on the  'wireless'  Rocky Marciano v (Brit) Don Cockell and I think it was live radio too, even then.

Edited by St Petre
add also

A ship broke down in the English Channel.  I think it was the Flying Enterprise. 1952.  Captain Carlsen was the last man to be taken off.

14 hours ago, St Petre said:

1952, King George dying- BBC radio playing somber music all day (I was only 5), After that, in 1953, the Queen's coronation and Edmund Hillary and his Nepalese sherpa, Tensing (think that was the same day) and the Stanley Matthew's cup final -No TV for us then, watched the game on 'rich' uncle's house on Bolsover Road, Firth Park and I was 6 by then !  Also  around that time, I recall my dad listening avidly to the boxing on the  'wireless'  Rocky Marciano v (Brit) Don Cockell and I think it was live radio too, even then.

Just watched that fight Pete..

Took a right hammering did Don..

Just google it and watch it on You Tube..