What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

We didn't know anyone with a telly hillsbro, you were posh, we had to go to the pub!

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems - I wouldn't have minded not being posh if I'd been give half a crown like you. That would have bought me a brand new Dinky toy! 🙂

Or an Airfix aircraft kit and a Mars bar.

50 minutes ago, athy said:

Or an Airfix aircraft kit and a Mars bar.

Yep - and a 3d bit in change; Airfix kits were two bob at Woollies and a Mars bar cost threepence. 🙂

That would buy the tube of glue to assemble the kit. Some kits included a little capsule of glue ( or "cement" as they preferred to call it) but I don't think that the Airfix ones did.

To answer the topic's question, when I was very young my Dad used to listen to the B.B.C. Home Service news each morning. Although I don't think I was even school age at the time, I remember the newsreader saying the words "Geneva Conference" day after day. I had no idea what it was, but when you're that age, you think that things last for ever. I've just looked it up, and it ran from April to July 1954. I can recall no other news items from that period, but those two long words stuck in my mind, an early sign that I was cut out to be a linguist.

Edited by athy

On 02/12/2019 at 09:35, abbeyedges said:

Kennedy assassina

On 01/12/2019 at 23:28, Rollypolly said:

Kennedy assassination

tion. 

Churchill funeral.

Aberfan.

Probably in that order.

Born in 1959 the first big news item I remember is the Kennedy shooting. I was playing with my friend and she was being looked after by her grandmother. I laughed (because I didn't understand) that her grandma was in such a state. I got a scutch on the head and sent home for my disrespectful behaviour

The death of John Cobb attempting a speed record on Loch Ness in 1952. 

The ones that stick in my mind the most. . . . .

1991 - The triumphant return of singer Gloria Estefan following a year out to recover from horrific injuries sustained in a crash while on tour in 1990.

1993 - The abduction and murder of James Bulger.

1996 - Dunblane.

1997 - The death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

2000 - The abduction and murder of Sarah Payne and then later those of Holly and Jessica and also Milly Dowler.

On 27/04/2021 at 09:52, grannypat said:

The death of John Cobb attempting a speed record on Loch Ness in 1952. 

Yes this is one of my early memories and the loss of the South Goodwin lightship 1954  which was brought more to life by tv coverage 

On 01/12/2019 at 22:16, ianparkin said:

Aberfan for me 

I clearly remember coming home from Malin Bridge Junior school in 1966 and seeing my mum sat weeping at the news of the Abrefan disaster. Next, in 1969, I remember getting up at 4am (?) to see fuzzy TV pictures of Neil Armstrong setting foot on the Moon. 

Hysel Stadium disaster, mid 80s... Or even worse, the Hillsborough disaster down at the Wednesday ground in April 1989, my Nan and I were on our way to Town on the Bus when it happened, saw all the cop cars/Fire engines/Ambulances screaming down Langsett Road and wondered what had happened, it was in that night's Star and obviously on Look Leeds as well as the National news.

I was just turned 13 at the time.

Even earlier, it was when King Charles (just Prince Charles at the time) married Lady Diana Spencer in 1982, there was a big Party on our road for it, I was just turned 6 at the time and didn't really know or care what it was about?

Edited by XPertByExperien
More detail

Probably Bobby Kennedy getting shot. We were in a caravan at the seaside and my mom was distraught. She was sobbing uncontrollably, saying "That poor woman, that's two sons she's seen killed.....". My grandad and dad took me and my sister out of the way for a few hours till my ma came round. We'd never seen her that upset before.

Edited by wearysmith