Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

Yep,can remember playing rounders at dinner time and usually got slogged.

Once a week in J4 was swimming at Attercliffe Baths. Walked there and then back with dripping wet hair. No hair dryers in those days in changing rooms. No changing rooms in fact - just cubicles on the side of the pool. Mr Mettam was the swimming teacher. You got a badge presented in assembly if you swam 25 yards.

..........and a thump on the head with the long pole he held just to front of you whilst swimming if you weren't careful! I think the pole was there for you to feel safe if you got out of your depth. The best part about Attercliffe baths were the Iced Gems you could buy from the vending machine on your way out.......

I used to like the hot chocolate but it was always so hot you didn't have time to drink it all and of course you couldn't be seen in the street with it.

I was at Whitby Road from 61 - 66 - same class as Kevin Burns / Dave Waller / Sharon Pratt / Gale hinds / Ann Rose / Glen Freeman / Sharon Lees / Ian Revitt / Rowena Roome / Anthony Staniland / Paul Timms and many others

I was in Miss Pattisons for a while, also Mrs Machin's. I also was in Mr Ellis' for a while. He fell asleep at his desk one day and a stink bomb was let off right next to a new pupil who was from Pakistan and couldn't speak a word of English. Mr Ellis woke up and asked who had let off the stink bomb. 50 fingers pointed at this poor young lad and Mr Ellis beat the living daylights out of him. I laughed at the time but I feel awful when I think about it. :help:

Happy days though ... from Kevin Stones

lived at 60 Frederick Street (next door to Pasks) and 21 Malvern Road

Do you remember the twin Hungarian lads ... can't spell their name but sounded like Booggars ... guess what we called them? :hihi:

Hi Jed.

Bugar I think ?. I recall lining up after playtime in the yard , Mr Ellis was in charge doing his ministry of funny walks ( years before monty python) They could have written a new series of Fawlty Towers by studying Ellis :rolleyes:

He bounded over to one of the Bugar's and whacked him around the head - hard for " chatting" he actually wasn't ! said bugar then gave ellis a tirade of abuse in hungarian ? and a few choice F- off yer snotty nosed B.....d :D both brothers then ran out of the school gates with ellis in hot pursuit - glasses askew - tie flowing in the wind ..... He didn't catch em though .

Next day it was like nowt had happened and we spent a morning helping Mr Ellis assemble/fit his roofrack on his new Renault 4 car. :cool:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/whitbyrdclass1amissjohn.jpg/

Whitby Rd Juniors - Class 1A - Miss Johnson's

L - R . B - F from ( hazy ) memory ? apologies for mis - naming or spelling.

Mr Saxton ( Head ) . Dave Waller. Angela Norton. Glen Freeman . Douglas Fischer. Kevin Buchzko. Lyn Bennet. Liz Cook . Susan Vaughan . Miss Johnson.

Phil Kidger. Robert Taylor .Janet Slinn. Jane Allison . Paul Evison . Kevin Burns. Pete Lewis . Barbara Howard. Deborah Bartrop. Chris Fisher . ? ? .

Paul Gould . Trevor Hartle . Julie Hargreaves . Lyn Bradley . Tina ? . Gail Hans. Sylvia Bilton. Judith Burley . Lorraine ? . Jaqueline Birch. Edward Meeds . Kenny Stinchcombe.

Gary Wade. Richard Barret.

The Year I forget ? anyone care to correct - or fill in the gaps please ?

Hi Jed.

Bugar I think ?. I recall lining up after playtime in the yard , Mr Ellis was in charge doing his ministry of funny walks ( years before monty python) They could have written a new series of Fawlty Towers by studying Ellis

He bounded over to one of the Bugar's and whacked him around the head - hard for " chatting" he actually wasn't ! said bugar then gave ellis a tirade of abuse in hungarian ? and a few choice F- off yer snotty nosed B.....d both brothers then ran out of the school gates with ellis in hot pursuit - glasses askew - tie flowing in the wind ..... He didn't catch em though .

I remember this event. I can see Ellis now shouting "Stop that boy!!". The Bugar's always had snot running off their top lip.

I had a look at the class photo but for some reason I'm not in it. I either had the day off or I must have been in another class. I'm sure I was with Dave Waller, Kevin Burns all through my school life. Never mind, I did have a class photo from Whitby Road but its gone missing for some reason.

Happy days

Kevin

You may have been in 1B - along with Paul Johnson etc ?

We had close communities then............ shame it didn't much prepare us for the rigours to come at Stalag -Waltheof , I left there having learned absolutely nowt , apart from getting out at the earliest oppertunity .

Those I kept in touch with who passed the 11+ and went on to grammar school, led a totally different life .

Cheers Kev.

You may have been in 1B - along with Paul Johnson etc ?

You may be right, I was in with Paul Johnson. What threw me was the pic with Sylvia Bilton on the front row. I remember being in the same class downstairs at some time.

We also had some clever dick who was good with sums. Both classes were lined up outside the classroom after playtime waiting for the teacher to open the door and Mr Saxon came along with the 2 teachers. One teacher said in front of both classes how good 'so and so' was at sums and Mr Saxon took him from my que to the other que and said how he should be in that class. I wanted to batter him, I was so jealous. Shame on me.

I remember the teacher coming out at the end of playtime swinging a huge bell that could be heard miles away. Now they would put a claim in for a bad back swinging that thing.

On your pic on the top row on the right next to the teacher is a lass called Stephanie, if I'm right. She was from the Gypsy caravan park if my memory serves me right. Pete Lewis is next to Kevin Burns in the centre. Pete's Mum made lovely Junket, a sort of home made 'Angels Delight'. Dave Waller is on the top row next to Mr Saxon with Philip Kidger in front of him. Not sure whther that's Paul Tims next to Philip on the middle row. Remembering the names is getting increasingly difficult. But, thanks for sharing it.

Kevin :cool:

Edited by kevstones

Hi everyone - what a great thread. I moved to Whitby Road school midway through J1, moving from Hammerton Street school. That would be 1945. For J2 we went down to Darnall Board school, which was right opposite where we lived. In J1 we had Miss Beaumont, a flame-haired beauty who, even at the age of 7 set my heart aflutter. J2 we had Mr Cox. J3 Mr Tyrrel (?spelling) to whom I shall always be grateful for introducing me to music. We had a recorder band, which he continued to teach even after we moved to J4, taught by Miss/Mrs? Machin. I have a photo on Flickr (Flickr.com) of the recorder band (with most of the boys names and Mr Tyrrel and Mr Saxon - Headmaster from Whitby Road). They were the best of my schooldays. I passed the 11 plus exam and attended Hight Storrs Grammar school from 1950. The pity for me is that all the posts from the time I was there seem to be from the girls, who we could only gaze at from afar.

hi i live at 14 nightingale st and went to whitby rd from 61 i was in the rounder team and remember a few names angla norton lorna maden trevor pask and kevin burns whos dad i used to call uncle wally would like to know how my old friends are getting on susan saville

hi susan remember me kevin hicken

off course i remember you my first love at 7/8yrs old how are you send me your email address for a catch up :)