Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

I was in Miss Mustalls infant class starting 66 and Miss Pennington's at Whtby Road junior. .

Me too.....I managed to set the whole of Miss Mustell's class crying when I started blubbering on my first day....this would have been in 1965. Also in Miss Pennington's class.....

Who are you then you must have been there the same time as me I was in miss Johnsons class

I'm Roger Waller, lived on Cravens Rd. Left WR in 1963 after being in Miss Stirks first year class in the old Darnall Rd annexe then Miss Kitchens class, Mr Clarkes/Garners class, I think Mr Clarke left mid term, I stand to be corrected and then Mr Ellis's class till Christmas then promotion to Miss Machins. Or at least this is how I remember it.

I'm Roger Waller, lived on Cravens Rd. Left WR in 1963 after being in Miss Stirks first year class in the old Darnall Rd annexe then Miss Kitchens class, Mr Clarkes/Garners class, I think Mr Clarke left mid term, I stand to be corrected and then Mr Ellis's class till Christmas then promotion to Miss Machins. Or at least this is how I remember it.

I left in 64 you must have been in the year b4 me I remember old garner and Saxon the head i did my 11+ and got a place at myers grove if you lived on craven rd you must remember my best mate at school peter williams

I left in 64 you must have been in the year b4 me I remember old garner and Saxon the head i did my 11+ and got a place at myers grove if you lived on craven rd you must remember my best mate at school peter williams

I don't recall him but the name seems familiar. Strangely enough I think I can recall all the kids from "up" our street but not down our street. I left Darnall in 69 have lost all touch with my old mates. Didn't dislike Whitby road, enjoyed the Christmas partys and nativity plays there.

There are plenty of comments about a Mr.Ellis but I would suggest that one of the school's most famous pupils was Keith Duncan Ellis who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday in the mid 50's to early 60's with much success as a tall centre-forward.

Keith went to Whitby Road School about 1948 before passing the entrance examination to the boys' Central Technical School on Leopold Street.

The last time I spoke to Keith was at a player's funeral, about four years ago, and then a distinguished-looking grey, he told me he runs a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

He lived on olivers mount

i was at whitby rd 1955 to 59, my 1st teacher was mr hyde his wife was mr saxons secretery, then i had a mr barnes he gave me 2 strokes of cane because i popped my cheek while he was playing the piano, then we had mr holland, mr mellor he was good at taking us for footy and rugby, he gave me a good school report and moved me up to class 4a to mr gollege, he always gave you a mental arithmatic problem 1st thing in a morning, classmates i remember john clifton, roy maskery, henry tooze he made a gun when he fired it he nearly blew his fingers off, roy mansel, dave burgin, johnny white,frank handley. shame about the school now.

Johnny White died years ago, frank handley has a buiness down attercliffe, when he left Whitby he went to c tec

ive not seen roy maskery for years, we used to knock about together, i would like to see him again and talk about old times, its whitby rd centenary this year,i went in august to a invite about the old school, the only person i knew was steven millward, i used to play football with john clifton, stuart elam, roy maskery,do you remember having to run up enfield lane through tinsley park woods and finish back at school, noppy sherwin and the barker bros useto hide under the bridge near the halfway pub having a hamlet i bet, ray strut was a good runner he always won. i once came 2cnd i was quite chuffed about that. some other teachers i remember, mr knight the woodwork teacher down at the annexe, he gave me 2 strokes of cane because at playtime it was raining so he told everybody to stay inside but i went out to see if it stopped he got old of me and rattleld my fingers,he once cracked john waring over the head,i also remember mr curtois for tech drawing and science, you didnt mess when he was teaching, mr garrett a music and singer teacher,mr cooper from darnall, i didnt see him much during my time at school,other names from my time at school, brian scaife,melvyn cross,byron blackadder,fred speachly, billy witherford,billy johnson, billy waller,did you ever go on weekend tips to wembly, they were great.:cool:

Steve Millward is now a pastor in Darnall

Reply to Katy1981

The name Gilliver sounds familiar but I'm not sure he was in the year when most of the class left in 1959. Do you know when he was there?:):)

Danny went to my school Darnall Church

I remember David Waller, he lived at the end of our street in the same yard as the Chapmans, next door in fact. Linda Lees, Michael Johnson, my first boyfreind at age 9 or 10, Denise Potts, who lived on the main road near Kevin Burns. She was always top of the class. Does anyone remember Christine???? who lived on Manderville Street.

She shared my birthday Oct 4th 1956 and died of Lukeimia around J2, Janice Lilly, her mum was blind. Susan I remember your name but not your face. We were in the sa e year. I was in 1A 2A etc We lived at 79 Nightingale St. Next door live Jane Shepherd a year youger and her youger brother Paul. The Pasks on Frederick St.

Who was the spastic boy with the irons on his legs. He used to go to Manderville St church?

His brother lived behind us on Frederick St over the wall. He got put away for murdering a girl on that same road. He mistook the girl for one of the Pasks. She was about 19 at the time. He had done time earlier for knocking off the guard at Cravens when the payroll came in, and robbed him. We should all just get together, have a reunion and write a book or make a TV series! I will come if someone can organize a reunion..it would be great.

glen was the boy you are asking about tommy was the one involved in the murder

I believe Kev Burns was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a long time ago. I lived 5 doors down from him. we didn't go to school together but he was my best mate in the street(Ronald Road) I was younger than him. x

Hello everyone, I'd just like to confirm that my brother Kevin Burns lived on Bridport Road, has never been involved in a motor cycle accident and I'm happy to report he is definitely still alive; - I spoke to him only last week.

My sincere apologies. Johny Burns from Ronald Road, born 1961 was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident.

Hi Linda, hope you are well, havent heard from you since my Mum Jean passed away.

Glad to hear Kev is ok, how is Sharron?

I remember the days when you two used to work at the Baby Clinic at the top of Barnadiston Road and Jill and me used to come to meet Mum from school.

Jill is now a granny as our Katie has a two and a half yr old called Isabelle.