Freedom of religion - no

17 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

If you are intolerant of racists, you are  bigot. 

Nope. You're a decent human being,

14 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I addresses a good part of your answer tbh.

Racism does not require action, no matter how many times you state it does.  Racism can be defined as 

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

I can't read minds though, so the racists who take no action don't appear to be racists.  And even so, whilst it doesn't require action, I still say that you're looking for a unicorn there.

Racism can indeed be defined that way, but unless someone shares that opinion somehow, which is an action, then nobody can know.  If they do share it, well then the dislike/hatred/whatever feeling is down to their actions, not their opinions.

I do wonder whilst we're playing semantics though, whether we should look at the words intolerance and tolerance. 

On 22/05/2019 at 08:34, JamesR123 said:

Well you have used the right word, bigotry.  Racism and bigotry are separate things.

Most people are bigots.  Hate fascists?  Welcome to the bigot club.  Despise white supremacists?  Hello Mr. Bigot.

If you think all bigotry is the same, I guess you think hating racists is the same as hating Muslims?  

See, this is what you said earlier.  But hate and intolerance aren't the same thing are they.

intolerance
/ɪnˈtɒl(ə)r(ə)ns,ɪnˈtɒl(ə)rəns/
noun

1. unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one's own.

tolerance
/ˈtɒl(ə)r(ə)ns/
noun

1. 1.
    the ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with.

These combinations of definitions basically say that whenever you don't accept an opinion you're a bigot.  So it becomes a useless, pointless word that basically means "human".

bigot
/ˈbɪɡət/
noun

1. a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

Anyone who ever disagrees on any opinion is by these definitions a bigot.

Don't agree that Sheffield Wednesday is the best club in the world, bigot.  Don't agree that the moon is made of cheddar, bigot, Don't agree that inline roller blades are the answer to public and private transport everywhere, bigot.

Which is just nonsense.

Meriams has a more nuanced definition though

bigot

noun
big·ot | \ ˈbi-gət  \

Definition of bigot

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

intolerant

adjective
in·tol·er·ant | \ (ˌ)in-ˈtäl-rənt  , -ˈtä-lə-\

Definition of intolerant

1: unable or unwilling to endure
2a: unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters
b: unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : BIGOTED

So, by this definition it's actually not about whether you like/dislike/love or hate a group due to their opinions.  It's intolerant if you are unwilling to grant them equal freedom of expression.

This looks like a much more sensible combination of definitions, by which someone who hates racists isn't a bigot, unless they actually try to stop them sharing their opinion (rather than arguing against it for example, or walking away and refusing to engage).

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Exactly.

A bonkers circular logic!

So, should I be tolerant of intolerance?

Do you support intolerant practices and people?

Sorry, but I don't. You do as you wish of course.

On 25/05/2019 at 11:32, JamesR123 said:

I suppose that is debatable.  I try my best not to be a bigot, and to judge people solely on their actions and not their bliefs.  I am not always succesful though, especially "in the moment".

Do you have to follow members of the openly Nazi organisation Combat 18 around to see what they get up to before judging them? Or is membership of that organisation enough of a basis on which to judge them?

11 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

So, should I be tolerant of intolerance?

If you don't want to be labelled intolerant, yes.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If you don't want to be labelled intolerant, yes.

So, presumably you're totally cool with the intolerant homophobia being shown in Birmingham, by those trying to stop kids being taught that it's ok to be gay or in same sex families?

I'm not.

26 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So, presumably you're totally cool with the intolerant homophobia being shown in Birmingham,

Don't be stupid! 🙄

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Don't be stupid! 🙄

So you're intolerant of it too!

18 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So you're intolerant of it too!

Of course I am.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

So, presumably you're totally cool with the intolerant homophobia being shown in Birmingham, by those trying to stop kids being taught that it's ok to be gay or in same sex families?

I'm not.

What a fascinating choice of example.

You might wish to pull your disguise up a bit, your identity is showing 

What those protestors are doing is an action though.  Being intolerant of someone's actions isn't bigotry.

On 27/05/2019 at 21:09, Top Cats Hat said:

Exactly.

A bonkers circular logic!

So are you yourself intolerant?  Or do you tolerate intolerance?