Post Office Worker is attacked while doing her job.

So a Post Office Worker is attacked by someone with a string of convictions whilst just doing her job. Despite all these convictions this individual has been given another chance. Why doesnt the judicial system protect members of the public?

Protect the members of the public you say?

“To help you get the help you need, which might, in fact be the best way of protecting the public, I’m not going to send you to prison today.”

The magistrate is clearly aware of the need to protect the members of the public and thinks this is the best way to do it.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:44 ----------

Maybe you could take the oxygen waster in as a house guest. I'd prefer to deprive the "person" concerned of oxygen.

So you'd like to kill mentally ill people. Duly noted.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:45 ----------

yes the justice system has let people down. The woman at the post office for a start. How many chances does this moron get.

MENTALLY ILL Paranoid Schizophrenic.

Not "moron".

He needs treatment, not jail.

He needs treatment yes, and also, he should not allowed to be in a position to harm innocent members of the public, while he has a disposition to do so. Some kind of confinement, treatment and monitoring, I would think would be a no brainier, the issue is, how much is it all going to cost? Not just for this one individual, but for others in a similar position...

Protect the members of the public you say?

“To help you get the help you need, which might, in fact be the best way of protecting the public, I’m not going to send you to prison today.”

The magistrate is clearly aware of the need to protect the members of the public and thinks this is the best way to do it.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:44 ----------

So you'd like to kill mentally ill people. Duly noted.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:45 ----------

MENTALLY ILL Paranoid Schizophrenic.

Not "moron".

He needs treatment, not jail.

Well clearly the treatment isnt working he is still attacking people all the other chances clearly havent worked. How would you feel if a member of your family was next? And yes thats a distinct possibility as he has been released. He needs to be imprisoned for the good of the rest of us. Otherwise it could be more serious.

If you think thats not acceptable any ideas would gratefully be received.

You've now decided that he's already being treated and it isn't working?

Are you just making up whatever you like?

I agree that he should be treated (I've seen nothing to say that he is being), and that treatment should involve ensuring he takes meds as required and is safe to be out in public, or alternatively restricting his freedom until he's safe to be out in public.

Prison isn't the right place for that to happen.

Regarding ideas - I'd suggest read the entire article first, you appear to have missed the comments from the judge and the fact that he's mentally ill. Get all the facts, then reconsider your opinion.

He needs to be imprisoned for the good of the rest of us. Otherwise it could be more serious.

A typical sentence for a relatively minor assualt being, what, a few months?

A few months in prison is likely to put a paranoid schizophrenic in a bad place mentally.

When he is released and in a worse mental state.... how is that good for the rest of us?

What is likely to achieve the best outcome long term?

You've now decided that he's already being treated and it isn't working?

Are you just making up whatever you like?

I agree that he should be treated (I've seen nothing to say that he is being), and that treatment should involve ensuring he takes meds as required and is safe to be out in public, or alternatively restricting his freedom until he's safe to be out in public.

Prison isn't the right place for that to happen.

Regarding ideas - I'd suggest read the entire article first, you appear to have missed the comments from the judge and the fact that he's mentally ill. Get all the facts, then reconsider your opinion.

I havent decided that at all the facts speak for themselves. Either a) He isnt being treated in which case why hasnt he been or B) He is and its clearly not working as this poor woman in the post office is testament to.

If this was his first second or maybe even his third offence I would be happy with leniency. However its not. Its 25 convictions for 56! offences. Im sure you as an intelligent person would agree that somethings going wrong here. Do people not care about the safety of the general public.

Something is going wrong yes, it's tory cuts to mental health services probably.

Short stretches in jail is likely to exacerbate the situation though, it's not a long term fix and initially you seemed to have no idea of the mental health aspect or the judges comments, so you appeared to be speaking from a position of lacking most of the facts.

Something is going wrong yes, it's tory cuts to mental health services probably.

Short stretches in jail is likely to exacerbate the situation though, it's not a long term fix and initially you seemed to have no idea of the mental health aspect or the judges comments, so you appeared to be speaking from a position of lacking most of the facts.

Yes I probably spoke out of anger at the situation. I was just angry that this was allowed to happen. I was angry that this has on a large number of occasions for this one individual and still we are in the same situation where people are being put at risk. I know he says he is remorseful but I'm sure he said that at each of those 20 times.

The crux of the problem is that the policy of care in the community doesnt work. It never did when it was introduced during the 80s and I cannot see it working now. I do hope we are not in the same position again where someone else is at risk but I worry we might be.

The crime has not been committed by one person but the individual AND the support network that should be in place including the justice system. Some people say that it is the individuals fault when something happens as it is their choice, but a PS isn't acting out of choice.

Good post.