Landlord licensing

Guest makapaka

Well it’s true I’m afraid - I don’t think it’s fair to have a society where we have limited housing stock yet some people can have a house to live in and others to make a profit from. It’s unfair.

What’s wrong with having that view?

Well it’s true I’m afraid - I don’t think it’s fair to have a society where we have limited housing stock yet some people can have a house to live in and others to make a profit from. It’s unfair.

What’s wrong with having that view?

Council in Sheffield knocked down 40,000 houses out of a total of about 80-90 thousand under the controversial Pathfinder scheme= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_Market_Renewal_Initiative

Private landlords are the ones who are now housing a lot of people and taking over the councils job of providing housing.

There is currently a Govt consultation in regards to minimum 3 year tenancies which I would support but your proposition of cpo’s is not something I support.

I own 10 residential and 4 mixed commercial properties and my longest residential tennant has been there 13 years. I have never been complained about to housing standards and all my properties are fully modernised. The govt gets a good whack of tax from my rental income so why should the govt be able to just decide I have to sell my properties?

It’s not the landlords who are to blame it’s the successive govt that have failed to build more houses but kept selling off / demolishing housing stock that are to blame.

Selective licensing just penalises decent landlords over the actions of a minority of bad landlords.

Edited by mafya

the principle is sound.

No the principle is not sound at all, it's pretty stupid.

You think the council want to take on a load of old, dilapidated rental properties?? Just think of the number that have been neglected and need serious investment.

It's insane.

Council in Sheffield knocked down 40,000 houses out of a total of about 80-90 thousand under the controversial Pathfinder scheme= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_Market_Renewal_Initiative

Private landlords are the ones who are now housing a lot of people and taking over the councils job of providing housing.

There is currently a Govt consultation in regards to minimum 3 year tenancies which I would support but your proposition of cpo’s is not something I support.

I own 10 residential and 4 mixed commercial properties and my longest residential tennant has been there 13 years. I have never been complained about to housing standards and all my properties are fully modernised. The govt gets a good whack of tax from my rental income so why should the govt be able to just decide I have to sell my properties?

It’s not the landlords who are to blame it’s the successive govt that have failed to build more houses but kept selling off / demolishing housing stock that are to blame.

Selective licensing just penalises decent landlords over the actions of a minority of bad landlords.

one of John Prescott's biggest mistakes, he did it to houses in Anfield as well, perfectly good Victorian Terraces.

Guest makapaka
No the principle is not sound at all, it's pretty stupid.

You think the council want to take on a load of old, dilapidated rental properties?? Just think of the number that have been neglected and need serious investment.

It's insane.

They can renovate them to Decent Homes standard and give the construction industry a boost at the same time.

They can renovate them to Decent Homes standard and give the construction industry a boost at the same time.

Where does these councils get the money to purchase these thousands of homes, and where are the funds to renovate and maintain them coming from? :huh:

http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/auctions/tuesday-4th-september-2018/ Plenty up for auction my SCC should start snapping some of these up.

Edited by steve68
Grammar

Guest makapaka
Where does these councils get the money to purchase these thousands of homes, and where are the funds to renovate and maintain them coming from? :huh:

http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/auctions/tuesday-4th-september-2018/ Plenty up for auction my SCC should start snapping some of these up.

It would have to come from central government- there will also be revenue from rents.

Why is everyone so mystified by the concept of social housing - it already exists. This would just bring existing private homes into social housing.

I wouldn’t have an issue with the council purchasing the ones up for sale but doubt there will be enough. That’s why they should CPO other properties to increase numbers sufficiently.

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 20:43 ----------

I don’t doubt you are a good landlord but it would be right for you to be paid the market value for the 10 residential properties you own and provide affordable long term housing to others who don’t own a house at all and have little chance of doing so.

Edited by makapaka
Typo

Ok makapaka how does it work for someone that has a short term work contract 6-12 months? A lot of hospital workers sale reps etc start on 6 months would the council be running bed and breakfasts and house shares as well?

Guest makapaka
Ok makapaka how does it work for someone that has a short term work contract 6-12 months? A lot of hospital workers sale reps etc start on 6 months would the council be running bed and breakfasts and house shares as well?

Rent them off the council or stay in hotels.

Rent them off the council or stay in hotels.

Yeah, just stick someone in a travelodge for 6 months.

Guest makapaka

No ones going to make people stay in travelodges for 6 months are they - that would be daft.

No ones going to make people stay in travelodges for 6 months are they - that would be daft.

You just suggested people needing to stay somewhere for 6 months should stay in hotels!