Awards for best Council house gardens

Can anyone remember the awards given for best Council house gardens in the 50s and 60s? People looked after their gardens then even though they weren't their own!

I remember the awards given for best council house garden. I used to know Tony (Tiger)Thorpe who’s parents won it a few times. Not sure if it was at Parsons Cross or Shiregreen. That would be around 1967/8.

I think a house on Cookson Road once won the award for best garden, can’t remember what year it was. Think his second name was Clark who lived there. He was awarded the CBE medal, not for his garden, something to do with his job I think.

Not many people would walk past his garden without looking at it, it looked lovey. Now like the majority of gardens on that road it’s a mess.

There was a chap on Hackenthorpe years ago , Mr Windle who used to win loads of awards for his garden . His lawn was like a bowling green , it was all beautiful . I hope he dosent see it now . Cars on wheel stands and bits of engines scattered all over :(

My wife's father Vernon Harrison won this award one year, they lived on Aldam Rd.