Who is, or was, the best headteacher in Sheffield?

Im not sure whether it is the same Mr Cook who was a teacher at Coleridge Road School in the early 60s If it was then,yes he was a top bloke

Sorryto hear he died

Jan Woodhead at Abbeydale Grange. She completely changed that school around. Nobody disliked her, nobody disrespected her, and she had time for everyone, knew everyone's names and always had a smile.

Moved on after being offered a job down London way I think in a massive school - think she was head hunted.

Does anyone remember Mr Hall from Birkdale?? Retired 1983(ish)....

Mr Cooke - Meadowhead School early 90s!

I went to ClarkeHouse Road 1976 - 1980 and Mrs Bond was Head. I was only a wee thing. She was like a second mum.

Have to give my vote to Tom Sharp of Marlclife Primary - if anyone could get the best out of kids it was him. Theatrical - loved dressing up etc but had the respect of the enitre school and community. Now doing dressing up for the museums - I'll bet you will have seen him doing his Victorian engineer at Kelham Island Christmas Extravaganza.

Without a doubt, Ken Cooke, who was the Head of Jordanthorpe, and later meadowhead when Jordo was merged with Rowlinson. Kens door was always open to parents (or at least it was to me) when my daughters went there in the mid/late 1980s.

Worst, without a doubt, was herbert wadge who was the head of the Central Technical School when I was there from 1963 to 1965. He was so evil that he could actually be accused of abusing the privilege of belonging to the human race. I do believe that when he died the letters RIP were left off the headstone and substituted for the more appropriate RIH.

A different era but he did get the MBE or some award although I must ageee he always seemed on a mission

Mr wydenbach - Myrtle Springs They way he has changed that school is unbelievable, made it such a better school in so many ways and paved the path for the future by helping Myrtle Springs School to turn into Sheffield Springs academy, nice bloke too, ill miss him.

Another I could mention is Ernie Crookes at Norton Free School. Very strict but that's the best way and he told some cracking stories in assemblies. Hope he's still with us as I've not heard anything about him for a bit.

I remember Mr Crookes well. He's living in beauchief and I see him now and then. Even 25 years on from when I left he looks exactly the same.

Enid Fitzgeorge-Butler at Silverdale, circa 1995

ands

Mark Thompson at Myrtle Springs. pre 1995

:hihi:

Best deputy head was Mr. Moxon at Arbourthorne in the late 80's, early 90's. Not cause he was a nice guy but purely for the fear factor! Think he was an ex-copper and everyone was terrified of him.

He once screamed at me for kneeling down the middle of the corridor to tie my shoelace!

Remember Miss (or Mrs) Cutts' name too......think she used to teach geography maybe?

Mr Moxon and Ms Leitch both used to scare me senseless.

:gag:

best headteacher for me was miss bell in mansel from 1995-1999 (i think)