Mind the gap it is getting BIGGER

barry-333

I said at the beginning of the season that the squad was unbalanced and not good enough for automatic, with a fully fit squad (or a couple out) top 6 should have been acheivable, not guarenteed but the previous two seasons suggest it was not an unrealistic expectation, the early blow to FF was a huge factor.

I thought you'd be up there, but I don't think you've moved forward as much as you should have in the last couple of years.

The side that were at Wembley against Hull is basically what you've got now. It wasn't a particularly young group of players then, and like every side, you've got to keep things fresh. There haven't been many, but the signings you've made since haven't taken you forward.

This is why previous seasons achievements, especially in a league like the Championship, where clubs are rapidly evolving, with six highly unpredictable clubs coming in every year is a poor way to judge an upcoming season.

Let's be reight.

It's been a season of football that's been decent for us Blades, with some really good performances and results. Expectations change all of the time. This is how it went for me:

Before the season started, I reckoned we'd be a competitive top half side, who could push for the play off's.

After three games, winning our opening match against Brentford in a very fortunate manner, and getting outplayed by Cardiff and Middlesbrough, I thought we'd struggle. I predicted finishing in the bottom half, but avoiding relegation at that point.

Then we got into the swing of it, and went on a run of games that saw us top of the league. At that point, I was confident we had what it would take to be in the top six for the remainder of the season.

Then, the Burton game. We won 3-1, but Coutts broke his leg. There was a feeling amongst Blades that this was going to be a turning point. The feeling after that much was the lowest I've felt all season, and we were top at the point.

From then until the new year I think we won one game, on boxing day against the worst side in the league. Performances were relatively good in general, but we lacked the calmness that Coutts provided.

The depth at that point just wasn't there, Lundstram was trying his best but the midfield three that had been bossing it for over a year lost arguably their most important member.

I thought we'd struggle until January, and then bring in players who'd help us pick up results for the remainder of the season. At this point I thought a play off spot was still on the cards.

January came, and we signed four players. In their first game, we beat Norwich in a well deserved victory, Evans looked like a quality signing and James Wilson scored.

Since then, Evans has been the only regular in the team. He's had some good games and some poor games, but results did pick up.

Leonard got a few chances, and disappointed. Wilson has been either poor or injured and despite Wilder chasing him since the summer, Holmes has barely played. Despite getting his targets, they've not had the impact we thought.

After January, I still thought a play off spot was possible, and to say we haven't really fallen away, I was right. Unfortunately it's going to be a step too far, and we've only ourselves to blame after not winning so many games we really should have due to a lack of quality where it matters.

August to November - Automatic promotion form

November to January - Relegation form

January to April - Mid table form

So, to the people who can't believe we are where we are after our 'terrible run', it makes complete sense. We still have a very small chance too at this point, with only two games left.

When you factor in everything, it has been a decent season.

Our defense have let us down, Fleck, Duffy and Basham since losing Coultts can hold their head up. Too much sideways and backwards instead of passes on the floor for the forwards has been the downfall and CW must take some of the blame for this

Our defense have let us down, Fleck, Duffy and Basham since losing Coultts can hold their head up. Too much sideways and backwards instead of passes on the floor for the forwards has been the downfall and CW must take some of the blame for this

I agree, we've looked a lot more vulnerable at the back without Coutts sitting deep, and dictating the tempo like he does.

I thought you'd be up there, but I don't think you've moved forward as much as you should have in the last couple of years.

The side that were at Wembley against Hull is basically what you've got now. It wasn't a particularly young group of players then, and like every side, you've got to keep things fresh. There haven't been many, but the signings you've made since haven't taken you forward.

This is why previous seasons achievements, especially in a league like the Championship, where clubs are rapidly evolving, with six highly unpredictable clubs coming in every year is a poor way to judge an upcoming season.

care to look again at what you just said? :suspect:

The side we have now is the side that played against Hull at Wembley, minus the injured players ;)

I would agree the signings havent taken us forward but then thats cos weve had 12/14 first team...and subs out for months and months, i believe Foresteri was out 3 or 4 months? Fletcher and Hooper mustve been out close to that? Hutch and Lee have been in and out of the team, mostly out. Westwoods been out "most" of the season too.

I'd say the good part is we have blooded around 5 or 6 younger players in now.

I also believe quite a bit of the inconsistancies this season come from the injury crisis, with big players out for months, i think worry will creep in.

Edited by melthebell