Gary Glitter ..

But it's also reasonable for people to not want to see Glitter on TV, or hear him on the radio.

And if they choose to do, nevertheless? They do not thereby endorse his actions.

But then we're back to the double standards scenario though.

No we don't. We go back to a levels of tolerance in society scenario.

Some people will complain if Phil Spector is shown on TV, but maybe just a handful. If you put Gary Glitter on thousands will complain.

Its all about the crime and the level of tolerance. It's not double standards to be more relaxed about one crime than another.

To understand this write two letters to a broadcaster. One letter asking for more Phil Spector shows, and then one asking for more Garry Glitter shows. Post the responses back on here. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-08-2017 at 18:05 ----------

Even though it can be argued that it was the fame that his music brought him that drew young groupies to Garry Glitter for him to take advantage of, I'm not on a downer at the OP or anyone else for listening to Garry Glitter's music. Unavoidably his music spearheaded the glam rock scene which is an important chapter of this countries cultural heritage.

I'm not on a downer about it either. But I'd rather he wasn't broadcast on TV. If people want to listen to him at home. No probs. Their choice.

The crimes committed were committed. Moral arbiters' censure and synthetic anger will not change that.

And if they choose to do, nevertheless? They do not thereby endorse his actions.

They potentially provide royalties to a paedophile who might use the funds to harm more children.

They potentially provide royalties to a paedophile who might use the funds to harm more children.

Yes- hence my earlier post #36 re hypothecating the royalties to compensate victims.

Yes- hence my earlier post #36 re hypothecating the royalties to compensate victims.

Is there a law that facilitates that?

Some people will complain if Phil Spector is shown on TV, but maybe just a handful. If you put Gary Glitter on thousands will complain.

Its all about the crime and the level of tolerance. It's not double standards to be more relaxed about one crime than another.

To understand this write two letters to a broadcaster. One letter asking for more Phil Spector shows, and then one asking for more Garry Glitter shows. Post the responses back on here. Thanks.

I'm not on a downer about it either. But I'd rather he wasn't broadcast on TV. If people want to listen to him at home. No probs. Their choice.

A lot of people would not know who Phil Spector is ,let alone be aware of his crime whereas most people know about Gadd and his crimes . just to add as the OP I am happy this thread has not descended into name calling and vitriol . sorry just read your post again . please disregard my first sentence

Edited by hackey lad

Levels of tolerance that are inconsistent. That's the point.

What's not double standards about being outraged about sex crimes but cool with blowing someone's brains out? If someone's going to be outraged then they ought to do the decent thing and be outraged across the board!

Edited by Olive

Levels of tolerance that are inconsistent. That's the point.

What's not double standards about being outraged about sex crimes but cool with blowing someone's brains out? If someone's going to be outraged then they ought to do the decent thing and be outraged across the board!

I'm not defending the attitudes of individuals. Merely stating that as a society we are more angered by, and less tolerant of certain crimes. We can be shocked and saddened by a cold blooded murder and few people are cool with that. But a sustained campaign against children then wrecks countless lives is going to make people a lot more outraged and angry.

That's an absolute cast iron inescapable unarguable fact. You know it is.

And it's the reason that Gary Glitter isn't going to be on TV or the radio very often. It should be very simple to understand.

I'm not defending the attitudes of individuals. Merely stating that as a society we are more angered by, and less tolerant of certain crimes. We can be shocked and saddened by a cold blooded murder and few people are cool with that. But a sustained campaign against children then wrecks countless lives is going to make people a lot more outraged and angry.

That's an absolute cast iron inescapable unarguable fact. You know it is.

And it's the reason that Gary Glitter isn't going to be on TV or the radio very often. It should be very simple to understand.

I get it, I'm agreeing with you that as a society we treat some criminals differently, you don't need to keep repeating the same point. That doesn't mean that it can't be hypocritical. But now I'm repeating myself. So I'll stop.

Edited by Olive

this is not for the entertainment forum . So just had an evening listening to Gary Glitter videos on youtube while reliving my youth . Should I be ashamed ? We all know what Paul Gadd did was vile and evil but Gary Glitter was an act (who made good music) and is part of our history . Personally I do not feel ashamed .

Why do you feel ashamed, if you want to listen to an asshole feel free

why anyone would want to listen to a dirty nonce is behond me,or watch one on the pitch for that matter.