Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

All gone quiet on this thread. Part of an answer from Amey on other matters says,

"Over the summer there was a short break in our road resurfacing programme due to us appointing a new resurfacing contractor, Tarmac Ltd. Because of the change of contractor, we had to make changes to the previously advertised programme. We are currently in the process of developing a new programme of works for 2018 and beyond to address some of the roads which have not received upgrade treatment in the first five years of the contract.

Please be assured that we will continue to maintain all the roads across Sheffield’s highway network to a safe condition until resurfacing work is due to take place."

They have restarted, but there are still plenty of roads in a terrible state.

Little London Road had been marked up for doing before the "break", but still hasn't happened.

The side roads around tescos infirmary road still look like a scene out of a war film.

I wonder if they actually paid the previous contractor before appointing a new one?

as a cyclist im grateful for Amey finally sorting out the road surfacing and making it much much safer to be on the roads! I think theres a 5 year plan so therss still more to fix but they've done tons of re surfacing already.

its a pleasure to be on smooth tarmac and not rattling along the pot holes like we'd all had to do for the last 10+ years!

Edited by AdeleS

The 5 year plan is supposed to be finished by the end of this year.

Doesn't surprise me. I remember Nick Clegg's empty promise of resurfing every road in the city within a 5 year window.

Well five years has come and gone, much like Clegg's political career.

i thought they had stopped resurfacing the roads a while ago ive seen lots of areas that have only had the pavements done and the roads left untouched also ive seen seen roads done that realy wernt that bad at all and others that are realy bad not touched

The roads that were resurfaced. you may have noticed,, were all the roads used for the CYCLE RACE,

The roads that were resurfaced. you may have noticed,, were all the roads used for the CYCLE RACE,

Not true that. Some of roads round where I live have been done and they have not been used for bike race

It beggars belief why, ,AMEY were given a 25 year contract. given carte blanche to remove thousands of trees, remove perfectly adequate, and no doubt costly paving slabs, replaced by acres of glaringly white concrete ,removed grass verges, resurfaced footpaths that carry little or no foot traffic,and left the majority of roads in the condition they were in five years ago.

i saw two lorries ,five "Workers " with two sweeping brushes ,take a whole week to sweep the pavements to fill cracks in .Sheffield Council has a lot to answer for ,by just throwing tax payers money into AMEY'S pockets

They've done an awful lot of roads since then, I'm fairly sure that my street for example wasn't part of any cycle race.

And yet, it's still unlikely that they will meet their contractual obligation and finish all the roads before the end of the year.

They've done an awful lot of roads since then, I'm fairly sure that my street for example wasn't part of any cycle race.

And yet, it's still unlikely that they will meet their contractual obligation and finish all the roads before the end of the year.

As far as I can tell the street lighting part of the contract will have been completed by the end of 2017, within the 5 year period.

To anyone familiar with the planned zones and the progress being made it must have been fairly obvious a year or more ago that the 5 year period for roads and pavements was not going to be met. There must have had to be some renegotiation of the contract and that need will have been identified many months ago. Alternatively the contract must have clauses to cover an over run. (Sorry, I haven't time to read through it all to check.)

Rejigging the remaining roads to be completed in 2018 must be the next aim That would be just one year behind schedule for roads that have been in a bad condition for a decade or two. The majority of Sheffield roads are now in a lot better condition than those in many other cities.

That said I continue to have concerns as to the quality of some of the work that has been done, particularly on the trunk roads when it was done with time pressures under floodlights at night. Hopefully the new surfacing contractors may be able to do a better job.

Perhaps the renegotiating can be used by the council to regain some control over the tree removal situation. But I doubt it, since the council seem to be willing participants and incredibly defensive about the huge problem they've created.

The 5 year plan is supposed to be finished by the end of this year.

Yes, but that doesn't seem likely. There's a lot left to do; and I doubt that much work will be done once wintry weather sets-in.