Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

No sign out of them out around Heeley though, the drive to the climbing works still feels like I'm driving on the surface of the moon.

Just got a letter through to state that ours is starting in January 2018. As it was scheduled for February-March 2017, I suggest you add 9 months to 1 year onto whenever it was originally scheduled for :-)

Have they started resurfacing again then? My road due to be done and desperately needs it. In August I e-mailed Streets Ahead and they said 'within three month's. Time's nearly up and no sign of activity. Website very short on updates.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Over the past few weeks I've noticed new saplings ( appear to be Gold/Silver Birch ) around Crookes

As I suspected, the smooth new pavement surfaces are a slippery deathtrap on steep streets with even a slight layer of frost on them, nearly came a cropper several times this morning on Conduit Road. The old surface could be tricky with a proper frost on them as well but these are so much worse. Can't wait for the proper stuff to come and make trying to walk on there so much more interesting...

As I suspected, the smooth new pavement surfaces are a slippery deathtrap on steep streets with even a slight layer of frost on them, nearly came a cropper several times this morning on Conduit Road. The old surface could be tricky with a proper frost on them as well but these are so much worse. Can't wait for the proper stuff to come and make trying to walk on there so much more interesting...

Noticed the same on Linaker road. I found it so hard to stay upright compared to the old surface. Luckily there is a grass verge (except on the driveways) which has much better grip.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed new saplings ( appear to be Gold/Silver Birch ) around Crookes

Good. if Amey and SCC are replacing trees (they have presented scant evidence they are doing so) they should make more of a thing about it.

I strongly suspect they will try to use tree protests as a scapegoat to hide their own incompetence.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Is this just because a new surface is supposed to be like this and it will improve as it wears? Or has a different surfacing technology been used when resurfacing, that does not give as much friction in frosty conditions?

Guest makapaka
Is this just because a new surface is supposed to be like this and it will improve as it wears? Or has a different surfacing technology been used when resurfacing, that does not give as much friction in frosty conditions?

There's nothing wrong with the pavements.

Unfortunately when things get icy they get slippy.

There's nothing wrong with the pavements.

Unfortunately when things get icy they get slippy.

Do you know why the new pavement would be far more slippery than the old one?

The new pavements are ridiculously slippery in the frost!

Another bad job by Amey, or is it simply that they are new and need to wear in a bit?

The new pavements are ridiculously slippery in the frost!

Another bad job by Amey, or is it simply that they are new and need to wear in a bit?

It's because the modern way to resurface pavements and roads is to use a product called Stone Mastic Ashpalt which is more slippery than the stuff used in the past until it has weathered for some time. It's used all over the country and there have been many complaints about it being slippery when new.

in my opinion they will start to fall apart and end a mess then when they become like ash you can walk on them and as they said to us at lowedges they will repair once the full job is done.