Parking on someone's driveway

So you don't have the right to remove things from your property that have been left there without permission, if you somehow judge them to be of value? But if you judge them to be of no or little value, then you can? Seems unlikely that the law says that.

If someone nicked your (expensive looking) bike and dumped it on my lawn, the law would expect me to either report it or take reasonable steps to protect it from harm until its owner could be traced.

If it was an item that (to 9 people out of ten) had no obvious value I would probably have the right to dump it.

Whether that's correct in law or not, to me it seems common sense.

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 22:25 ----------

How do I know it is of any value? it could be a right sack of turd. Engine blown up, gearbox makes more noise than the Tardis, list of MOT failures as long as Norfolk street. Its my land and I am the free holder of said land and property built on it, all bought and paid for. Trust me if someone stuck something on it, it wouldn't be there long without permission.

Clearly it is not of value as you have the knowledge to ascertain its condition and value, however it could have been stolen and it would be courteous of you to allow the owner and their insurance company to take sight of it (think if it had been yours) before you roll it over a nearby cliff.

however it could have been stolen and it would be courteous of you to allow the owner and their insurance company to take sight of it

Of course you are correct with this statement, and a few phone call's would be made before taking evasive action.

(think if it had been yours) before you roll it over a nearby cliff.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to park it on someones else's drive in the first place, at least without asking, maybe it had broken down or something, but I know where you are coming from.

Of course you are correct with this statement, and a few phone call's would be made before taking evasive action.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to park it on someones else's drive in the first place, at least without asking, maybe it had broken down or something, but I know where you are coming from.

I'd be angry too if someone did it on my property, it's like a personal insult!

Did you want to be more specific than the entire act?

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 07:56 ----------

If someone nicked your (expensive looking) bike and dumped it on my lawn, the law would expect me to either report it or take reasonable steps to protect it from harm until its owner could be traced.

If it was an item that (to 9 people out of ten) had no obvious value I would probably have the right to dump it.

Whether that's correct in law or not, to me it seems common sense.

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 22:25 ----------

Clearly it is not of value as you have the knowledge to ascertain its condition and value, however it could have been stolen and it would be courteous of you to allow the owner and their insurance company to take sight of it (think if it had been yours) before you roll it over a nearby cliff.

If the bike were chained across the primary entrance to the property then I doubt that the law would expect me to remain trapped inside/outside though...

In fact, to take this to an extreme, if I fasten some tape across the entrances to your property, are you obliged to take reasonable steps to find the owner, whilst remaining inside (so you don't damage them)?

If I paint (grafitti) on your house, is it illegal for you to damage the paint which is my property?

If the bike were chained across the primary entrance to the property then I doubt that the law would expect me to remain trapped inside/outside though...

In fact, to take this to an extreme, if I fasten some tape across the entrances to your property, are you obliged to take reasonable steps to find the owner, whilst remaining inside (so you don't damage them)?

If I paint (grafitti) on your house, is it illegal for you to damage the paint which is my property?

In the first case I would presume that the bike was intended as a barricade obstructing my rightful exit/entrance therefore I could take all reasonable steps to remove it (cut the chains), so any claims for damage caused as a consequence to me securing my rightful exit would be forfeited.

In the second, I would think that persons unknown were again preventing my entrance/exit so I would cut and store the tape with the possibility that the owner might return to collect it. Claims to compensation would be forfeit.

In the third, graffiti is illegal anyway but as the author did not leave their name and address I would have to wait a reasonable time in case he or she returned to take back their paint. If they didn't, I would paint it over thereby protecting it in the hope that they might come to collect it some day.

Is there any legal basis for these assumptions though?

Graffiti is criminal damage, leaving a car on your drive is trespass, it's also obstructing your legal access to your own driveway with your car and/or anything else you want to get up or onto the drive. The car owner hasn't left a name or address.

Do you seriously believe that you legally have to wait some length of time before removing graffiti or painting over it?

Is there any legal basis for these assumptions though?

Graffiti is criminal damage, leaving a car on your drive is trespass, it's also obstructing your legal access to your own driveway with your car and/or anything else you want to get up or onto the drive. The car owner hasn't left a name or address.

Do you seriously believe that you legally have to wait some length of time before removing graffiti or painting over it?

On the first two, probably. The car case, I'm not certain, but let's say that emergency medical equipment or stretcher was needed to access the front door and the car needed to be moved then I don't think the owner would have a strong case to claim any consequent damage that was caused to effect its removal.

Graffiti -no, I'm not serious about your graffiti, hope its artistic :)

I'm a terrible artist, I shouldn't even be allowed to paint a wall white.

If it was parked on my drive, on my land that I had worked 30 years for, I think a length of stout rope round my towbar, connected to the offending vehicle would solve the problem. 4 wheel drive selected and off we go. Job done.

Angel1.