The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Why would that be?,they are both in Europe

At the time it was unthinkable, just like we think it's unthinkable for Bosnia or Albania or Turkey to join today.

Don't forget the EU started out as a gentleman's club. There's no denying it has morphed into something [very unattractive] today.

Who knows - perhaps Brexit has spooked the EU and perhaps it will change their trajectory as a result.

Edited by Puggie

At the time it was unthinkable, just like we think it's unthinkable for Bosnia or Albania or Turkey to join today.

Don't forget the EU started out as a gentleman's club. There's no denying it has morphed into something [very unattractive] today.

Who knows - perhaps Brexit has spooked the EU and perhaps it will change their trajectory as a result.

I can't see what the problem is here,the world changes,and so does the EU.

A great little video of Guy Verhofstadt talking about Britain's rocky relationship with the EU. He says it was never a love affair but rather a 'marriage of convenience'

This was filmed April 2017

Positive or unreasonably optimistic?

What I'm seeing at businesses that are clients of our company is very worrying.

Optimism doesn't have varying degrees does it? it's one or the other, the other being pessimism. One of this countries biggest failures is not taking a chance in my opinion, it's almost as though there's a reluctance to try anything new or radical. We stick with tried and tested methods, possibly this is why many of our industries have fallen by the way side or been snapped up by foreign companies.

People branch out on their own and make a success of it so why not a country. Yes, some fail, it's a chance though. The difference here is that the country has millions of employees to make it work.

---------- Post added 28-04-2017 at 02:09 ----------

I can't see what the problem is here,the world changes,and so does the EU.

Consider this a change then.

Edited by silentP

What kind of sociopath suggests "taking a chance" with the lives of 64.99 million other peoples lives? Yes, some fail.

You're all forgetting that expansionism isn't dead. It's very much part of the EU's DNA.

Once upon a time you'd be mocked for suggesting the likes of Romania and Slovakia would become fully fledged EU members.

Turkey though?

Ridiculous lies aren't helpful right now.

---------- Post added 28-04-2017 at 07:37 ----------

Optimism doesn't have varying degrees does it? it's one or the other, the other being pessimism. One of this countries biggest failures is not taking a chance in my opinion, it's almost as though there's a reluctance to try anything new or radical. We stick with tried and tested methods, possibly this is why many of our industries have fallen by the way side or been snapped up by foreign companies.

People branch out on their own and make a success of it so why not a country. Yes, some fail, it's a chance though. The difference here is that the country has millions of employees to make it work.

---------- Post added 28-04-2017 at 02:09 ----------

Consider this a change then.

I don't believe that taking risks with the futures of 65 million people to address otherwise solvable issues, and to deal with imaginary problems is a great move. I'm confident more and more of the electorate will agree.

Latest polling shows that more people now disagree with Brexit than agree with it. The balance looks to be tipping the wrong way for you.

What kind of sociopath suggests "taking a chance" with the lives of 64.99 million other peoples lives? Yes, some fail.

First of all explain how is it sociopathic?

First of all explain how is it sociopathic?

For it start you are showing complete lack of empathy for the people who don't want to leave.

Lack of empathy is a sociopathic trait.

For it start you are showing complete lack of empathy for the people who don't want to leave.

Lack of empathy is a sociopathic trait.

So is believing yourself to be Right all the time so should we stick remainers in that group also!

I along with everyone else was given an opportunity to vote, that's what I did. My reasons had very little to do with what is happening now but a lot to do with how things have gone over the passed X amount of years.

My life (rightly or wrongly) doesn't revolve around the bits of information I can obtain from the internet, it's based on what and how I feel about situations.

How is it that we have got it so wrong?

If every remainer on this thread was asked to find information to argue the case for leaving, all of a sudden it would look like the healthier choice wouldn't it. Now we've been labelled quite a few things on this forum, many of them unjust, all of them unwarranted. I/we are of the opinion that leaving is what's best, is it any more just that remainers force the choice because you believe that it's right?

As to my empathy, I have plenty and certainly more than many on SF judging by their opinions of their fellow man and neighbouring cities.

So is believing yourself to be Right all the time so should we stick remainers in that group also!

I along with everyone else was given an opportunity to vote, that's what I did. My reasons had very little to do with what is happening now but a lot to do with how things have gone over the passed X amount of years.

My life (rightly or wrongly) doesn't revolve around the bits of information I can obtain from the internet, it's based on what and how I feel about situations.

If every remainer on this thread was asked to find information to argue the case for leaving, all of a sudden it would look like the healthier choice wouldn't it. Now we've been labelled quite a few things on this forum, many of them unjust, all of them unwarranted. I/we are of the opinion that leaving is what's best, is it any more just that remainers force the choice because you believe that it's right?

As to my empathy, I have plenty and certainly more than many on SF judging by their opinions of their fellow man and neighbouring cities.

I don't believe I am right all the time. I understand that people voted for change. I just think issues can be addressed with us remaining EU members.

I don't think many remain voters have changed their stance. Or will change their stance. The polling evidence is starting to indicate a majority against Brexit now. I think that will only grow as the bad news continues to roll in.

I don't believe I am right all the time. I understand that people voted for change. I just think issues can be addressed with us remaining EU members.

I don't think many remain voters have changed their stance. Or will change their stance. The polling evidence is starting to indicate a majority against Brexit now. I think that will only grow as the bad news continues to roll in.

Touching on that last part. Do you not think that until a plan is formulated or begins to unroll that bad news is all that can be reported on, or indeed that, that is all that they focus on?

This country is very good at finding bad news.

There's thousands of posts to date on here alone explaining that, but all of them were conveniently badged and trap-door'd as Project Fear, or simply ignored (and the debate swiftly shifted) as too inconvenient.

The UK had been steadily doing better than most and far faster post-2008. We were having a slow, low wage recovery. Not optimal, but a damn side better than just about everywhere else you look, EU and not. Given that context, every adverse socio-economic consequence since July last year, and to come for the next few years, is a consequence of your vote.

It may well be that you got it very right...by 10 years' time. In the meantime, we've all got to live through those 10 years. And for the working population, continue to fund the place and the growing gap between where we are and where we could have been. And nicey-nice things like the NHS, the triple lock, <etc.> may have to be severely restricted, privatised and/or dropped altogether in the name of making it through.

You don't have to like it, and you can certainly argue the point however much you want. But you don't get to shirk your responsibility in it and your liability for it.

You can ask remainers on this thread to find information to argue the case for leaving, however don't expect any reply, but simply an assessment of that information: you voted to leave believing that it is what is best, so that information for arguing the case for leaving is yours and your co-voters to find and present (I'm hoping here that, sensibly, you found that information before you voted).

Remainers are hardly forcing any choice, irrespective of being right or wrong, when they were on the losing side of the referendum outcome. Leavers forced the choice by winning the referendum. That's a simple, non-partisan, matter-of-fact observation.

Edited by L00b