Will France be the next nation to leave the EU?

Will the ECJ uphold such an exit fee? There's no treaty provision for it that I can find.
This exit fee merely reflects the UK's consensual contractual commitments. Think of it as your standard early cancellation fee.

I'm somewhat surprised that you find the notion of paying one's dues unpalatable.

I'm somewhat unsurprised that you'd find it unpalatable solely in relation to the Brexit situation.

:D

Pity that the EU didn't figure out the old horse cart thing when introducing a single currency before a common treasury.
It is, but since that is wholly unrelated to the UK's Brexit decision and forthcoming negotiations, I'm unsure why you brought it up.

This exit fee merely reflects the UK's consensual contractual commitments. Think of it as your standard early cancellation fee.

I'm somewhat surprised that you find the notion of paying one's dues unpalatable.

I'm somewhat unsurprised that you'd find it unpalatable solely in relation to the Brexit situation.

So there are contracts explicitly binding the UK to finance the EU in some way which extend beyond the 2 year article 50 period?

I am trying to monitor myself for bias, that's why I'm here rather than on twitter listening only to people who agree with me.

:D

It is, but since that is wholly unrelated to the UK's Brexit decision and forthcoming negotiations, I'm unsure why you brought it up.

You just reminded me. I most often hear the cart horse thing in that context. Okay I was being cheeky.

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 12:04 ----------

So far there seems to have been little debate about the share of EU assets that the UK could claim, as distinct from the liabilities it might be expected to pay. A balance sheet has two halves, I believe.

I brought it up earlier (some days ago). So far the assets share looks like being something under half the claimed liabilities.

Sadly, I think there's every chance that Le Pen will win. Like Brexit and like Trump, it looks to me like another slow motion car crash. If she'd been up against Fillon, a relatively mainstream hard-right politician who was able to say the things about Muslims that the key demographic apparently want to hear, then maybe I wouldn't have rated her chances. But as it turns out she'll probably be up against Macron, a Blair/Cameron type who still thinks globalisation is a great idea.

They still don't get it. The crucial voters for Trump/Brexit (IMO) were the ones who don't like globalisation/austerity/free trade. Who'd rather have a bigger slice of a smaller economy than a smaller slice of a bigger one. Give them decent jobs, decent houses, decent health care, decent education for their kids and (I predict) they'd stop worrying about immigration, sovereignty etc. And those are the things that Le Pen is promising them [along with the anti-Muslim stuff], and Macron isn't.

Surely they do get it. A politician should say what he believes in/stand for and the voters vote based on that. Instead we get politicians who will say anything to get elected.

So far there seems to have been little debate about the share of EU assets that the UK could claim, as distinct from the liabilities it might be expected to pay. A balance sheet has two halves, I believe.

No its been discussed on the consequences of brexit thread. you can be assured the lawyer and accountants will ensure we claim our share of EU assets, mostly buildings and then whatever value is agreed will be offset against our liabilities. The amounts vary depending where you look.

Edited by 999tigger

So there are contracts explicitly binding the UK to finance the EU in some way which extend beyond the 2 year article 50 period?
Yes.

You're a scientist working in a Uni context, aren't you?

So presumably you've heard of Horizon 2020, agreed back in 2014? (that's merely one example)

Yes.

You're a scientist working in a Uni context, aren't you?

So presumably you've heard of Horizon 2020, agreed back in 2014? (that's merely one example)

I dont know why its hard for them to imagine that if I make a promise now to do something later, that I cant be held to that promise, just like in any other matter.

I do not represent the University, or any of the experiments or their funding agencies on here. These are my personal views.

That said, I'm on DUNE these days. A collaboration primarily with the US.

¿ Now if we were ever to exit our political union with the USA, such collaborations would be impossible.¿

¿ Oh wait! We don't have a political union with the USA. This entire experiment must be a figment of my imagination. Wow thanks guys. ¿

I do not represent the University, or any of the experiments or their funding agencies on here. These are my personal views.
There was never any supposition that you were representing anyone other than yourself on here, ub.

Mine was simply a fact-checking question, for verifying the context of my example.

So, you heard of Horizon 2020, yes?

You're aware that funding and apportionment was negotiated across EU member states in 2014?

A year before Cameron was running for re-election with a referendum promise?

You're aware that it has another 3 years to run?

Including 1 year beyond the UK's notional exit from the EU in 2019?

FFS, sometimes your bad faith makes things unnecessarily hard work :roll:

That said, I'm on DUNE these days. A collaboration primarily with the US.

¿ Now if we were ever to exit our political union with the USA, such collaborations would be impossible.¿

¿ Oh wait! We don't have a political union with the USA. This entire experiment must be a figment of my imagination. Wow thanks guys. ¿

Do you have any more strawmen to add, before I consider whether to reply at all? Edited by L00b