Trump's travel ban..

say all that you like but the biggest threat to americans is other americans, there is no getting away from it. its not people from somalia, iran, iraq, libya etc its other americans, they have killed more americans every year.

so to say this travel ban is to protect americans is complete and utter tosh.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 10:16 ----------

ive just read its 3-0 fella Oo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38927175

this bit sprung out at me

again they come across as arrogent, self centred, im in charge so listen to me types :suspect: they deserve to lose, every single time.

and / or they didnt really know why the travel ban was really needed as they made it up :hihi:

I couldn"t agree with you more. Of course its Americans killing Americans. We atre fully aware that its true. But imagining it can be stopped as if it were Britain. It cannot. Democracy has no Official Secrets Act, no putting people in jail for disagreement with the status quo. Its your vote or mine. Somewhere at this time, almost half the voting public made a gross error, the same as the gross error of believing owning a gun will keep you alive. As a retired member of the Royal Navy I am fully trained in weaponry and am a good shot. I have taught my sons to shoot and one of them, Dave, fought in Iraq and was wounded there. But he has no gun now. If he lived in Texas he would be better off to own one, but not here in Connecticut.

I couldn"t agree with you more. Of course its Americans killing Americans. We atre fully aware that its true. But imagining it can be stopped as if it were Britain. It cannot. Democracy has no Official Secrets Act, no putting people in jail for disagreement with the status quo. Its your vote or mine. Somewhere at this time, almost half the voting public made a gross error, the same as the gross error of believing owning a gun will keep you alive. As a retired member of the Royal Navy I am fully trained in weaponry and am a good shot. I have taught my sons to shoot and one of them, Dave, fought in Iraq and was wounded there. But he has no gun now. If he lived in Texas he would be better off to own one, but not here in Connecticut.

You are absolutely right about the gun laws. It's not the law that's really the problem, it's a culture thing, but perhaps a law massively restricting ownership will kick start that culture change? Other countries (Canada, Switzerland off the top of my head) have similar gun ownership levels to the US yet have a tiny proportion of the gun crime, that's what needs to be addressed. Anyway, slightly O/T now...

You are absolutely right about the gun laws. It's not the law that's really the problem, it's a culture thing, but perhaps a law massively restricting American life namely Defense, National Health, International relationships Etc. But the ownership of weapons has always been a State By State affair, and should be. Some States like Alaska or even Maine share their environment with some big and aggressive animals. Some Cities like Chicago don't seem able to take command, while NYC does. It often depends on how far you live away from potential help. There aren't many places in the UK very far from Police help.

You are absolutely right about the gun laws. It's not the law that's really the problem, it's a culture thing, but perhaps a law massively restricting ownership will kick start that culture change? Other countries (Canada, Switzerland off the top of my head) have similar gun ownership levels to the US yet have a tiny proportion of the gun crime, that's what needs to be addressed. Anyway, slightly O/T now...

The only similarities in Canada to US gun ownership are that the police carry them and criminals get them like criminals do, from other criminals. Hand guns are forbidden for the general population and rifles are controlled by registry and licenses are not too easy to get.

Canada and Switzerland don't have 'similar' gun ownership levels to the US at all.

Canada's is about a third, Switzerland's, is about half.

don't believe anything Michael Moore says. He's a moron.

Canada and Switzerland don't have 'similar' gun ownership levels to the US at all.

Canada's is about a third, Switzerland's, is about half.

don't believe anything Michael Moore says. He's a moron.

You are right, but I don't think I had any idea it was something Michael Moore said. I have to admit I am staggered by the difference in gun ownership in the US to other countries...I genuinely thought Switzerland had more guns than people as pretty much everyone had to have one for public defence duties? Am I completely confusing my countries or does this list only include non-military issued 'personal' weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 10:05 ----------

The only similarities in Canada to US gun ownership are that the police carry them and criminals get them like criminals do, from other criminals. Hand guns are forbidden for the general population and rifles are controlled by registry and licenses are not too easy to get.

Time for me to go do some more reading it appears and 2 things I was sure were true have been proven not to be in this thread...anyway, this is going of topic but it's an interesting topic regardless.

what you have to do is avoid at all costs the temptation to transplant a British/European mindset about guns into a United States context. It's difficult enough for a Canadian to do, when Canada and the USA are next door neighbours and share a great many characteristics. A British/European person, has no chance. They just look silly standing there lecturing somebody in Montana or Mississipi about guns as if they were in Manchester or Midlothian.

if you yourself were American, you'd have a very different attitude towards guns and gun control than you do as a British/European person.

what you have to do is avoid at all costs the temptation to transplant a British/European mindset about guns into a United States context. It's difficult enough for a Canadian to do, when Canada and the USA are next door neighbours and share a great many characteristics. A British/European person, has no chance. They just look silly standing there lecturing somebody in Montana or Mississipi about guns as if they were in Manchester or Midlothian.

if you yourself were American, you'd have a very different attitude towards guns and gun control than you do as a British/European person.

I lived in Montreal for many years before i came south for a better job.There was plenty of gun violence to go around bit I loved the place anyway. The way you have stated it works well. The sheer size of Canada versus its population almost makes the need for a family gun obvious.