Is it time Britain had a referendum on the Monarchy

Keep the Monarchy  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the Monarchy

• NO
    • Yes

Robin H. Saying the Royals (saxe-coburg branch)are of German stocks , and the Monarchical institutions are from the Norman's is hardly an opinion, it's a fact. Whether you want to fell that outdated institution or not.

But trying to claim that they ARE German is total BS

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 16:37 ----------

The institution is from the Norman French invasion. And this current line of royal family of the saxe-coburgs are by enlarge odd German ancestry. Elizabeth's father and mother are both of German background.

Still the royalists system is a French Norman invention ..so hardly British. Knowing the history of it you'd surely know that ..

More importantly.. it's a ridiculous system that is outdated and archaic.

Is desperation setting in by any chance?

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 16:42 ----------

What? Impartially picking points? What are you on about?

Answer me this. My great great grandfather is Irish. Am I Irish?

Apparently yes!!!

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 16:43 ----------

The vast majority of people here in the North especially under 50 are anti royalist

You have the figures and links to hand I assume?

---------- Post added 27-12-2016 at 16:45 ----------

believe. Few Northerners give a fly about the royals up here..

Whenever the royals came to visit up here when I was a kid, only a few people would be there waving flags and theyd be poor school kids forced to go cheer the royal inbreds..

FACTS please about ALL of your claims

I would much prefer to have a walk round balmoral and skip the cornet.You make it sound as though her life has been as some kind of prisoner/slave of the country which is far removed from the truth that all the royals have a privileged life.

Really? Read EL's POST (#107) again and then have a good THINK ......

And don't forget ...... she can't just throw on her causal trousers and a fleece. She has to dress the part, pop on her make up, walk out on schedule and so on. All things which I've ignored today. Cos I can. How liberating :)

Edited by Solitaire

I'm no supporter of the Royals by any means but would still vote to keep an monarchy simply based on I wouldn't like to see an President May or any other party leader holding head of state powers. I agree though the monarch could do with an update and made smaller less of the hangers on gang.

We'd most likely still end up with a monarchy. It's already been shown this year that if you have a referendum people don't vote the right way.

We'd most likely still end up with a monarchy. It's already been shown this year that if you have a referendum people don't vote the right way.

Is there a right way? If so, would you explain to me what that might be?

Is there a right way? If so, would you explain to me what that might be?

Of course there is.

If you agree with the result it's the right way.

If you disagree it's the wrong way.

I believe close to 40 million people visit the UK annually. They don't come to see the old Sheffield Victoria station and its 110 year old façade. They come to see the trappings of Royalty, experience it and touch it. They bring envy, as well as billons of dollars, Yen and Swiss francs (and jobs) with them !

I say keep it in place as a very tangible public asset, and a connection to 1,000 years of English & British history. If you don't personally support it, that's ok. But please consider its value to the country at large.

Abolishing the monarchy would have no effect on the connection to 1000 years of history. In fact my theory it would open it up even more because all the fancy old buildings could be turned into museums. More jobs, more things to sell to tourists.

Then again you could be right like for example no-one ever goes to France to look at any of their old feudal buildings because they abolished their monarchy and consequently have severed their connection to history. Oh wait no that's complete nonsense and millions of people visit Versaille and other sites like it every year.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Abolishing the monarchy would have no effect on the connection to 1000 years of history. In fact my theory it would open it up even more because all the fancy old buildings could be turned into museums.

Museums?? Nah, probably hotels and over-priced appartments

No monarchy = A loss of £500m to the tourism industry per annum.....Therefore why change anything?

Of course there is.

If you agree with the result it's the right way.

If you disagree it's the wrong way.

Ah, thank you. I am just slightly lacking in intelligence, compared to the brainboxes we're lucky enough to have on here so I do struggle slightly to keep up. I'm with the program now, as it were :P

S x

No monarchy = A loss of £500m to the tourism industry per annum.....Therefore why change anything?

Where do you get the loss of £500m from?

Just type "monarchy tourism revenue" into Google, loads of results giving that figure.