Did you start clubbing in the late 1980's?

Born: 1969 - Boozing: 1986 (The York Hotel and West End, Broomhill).

Nightclubs: I did more clubs under the legal age than I have done since. In 1986 and 1987 I went fairly regularly and in these days I'd usually drink before the club and only have soft stuff inside, if indeed I drank at all! (How times change).

Isabella's was my favourite. Never too busy, no trouble and the music - to these ears - was fine. Club classics, a bit of house and a number of party classics. Most of my friends had their 18th birthday bashes there.

Maximillions - Okayish, I only went two or three times. It sold truly awful Budweiser on tap. I went with my bandmates in 1989. That was the last time I went although I seem to recall dancing to Colonel Abraham's 'Trapped' in 1986 wearing a black shirt with a pink leather (thin, straight) tie. Add to that floursecent pink socks and you'll see why the ladies steered well clear....:love:

Josephine's - A bit sophisticated or so it seemed. It even had a piano lounge/restaurant. Their door policy was quite strict and you didn't argue with 'Jaws'. Endless soul-lite like Luther Vandross but my abiding memory is of trying to dance like the lead singer from Curiosity Killed The Cat when their song Misfit came on. Thinking how cool I must be looking to all the nurses in there, it later dawned on me - with a great deal of hindsight - that I must have looked a right misfit myself.:hihi:

Al-E-Cats - Ugh. Endless hip-hop and house, frequented - in the front bar - by drunk cabbies. Spent a couple of Christmas parties in here. Last visit was probably Christmas 1987 when Pet Shop Boys were Number 1 with Always on my Mind - which they must have played because like I said, everything else was hip-hop which I detested (and still do).

Sinatra's - small but likeable. I have fond memories of this place which I'd prefer to keep to myself.

Cairo Jax - I could take or leave this place. Always full of well-past-their-bedtime school kids, sat rocking on the floor to Oops Upside Your Head. Having said that, I met up with quite a few old faces from my school days in there. There was always trouble too. Too busy for my liking. I remember Michael Jackson's Bad being played and thinking 'this is a wierd song for a disco: it does'nt even have a drum beat').

And the turd of them all, Butlins in Sheffield: The Roxy. You wiped your feet on the way out. That's if you could get them off the sticky carpet. Too much dry ice, women that should be frequenting knitting clubs not night clubs; the Hitman and Her, disco-by-numbers and enough to put one off clubbing for life.

Which it did.

You mean you never frequented Thursday night in Barry Nobles Roxy? Waz that not alright fer yerz? :hihi:

i was playing with transformers in the late 80s but the music was pretty good...

anyone ever go to any warehouse parties? i had some of the best nights out ever,i can remember one huge one on Blast lane,anyone else have any memories (or lost nights!!!!)

anyone ever go to any warehouse parties? i had some of the best nights out ever,i can remember one huge one on Blast lane,anyone else have any memories (or lost nights!!!!)

Been to some good ones over the years - but always found its best to leave before it gets light as they are not normally a pretty sight in the morning!

I was born 1974. so I probably was clubbing late 1980's.

I was at Roxys sheff., when it was hit man & her. i am at tthe front. and am wearing short skirt and black lycra top. only reason i know that was i taped it. and went there a few times.

Been to some good ones over the years - but always found its best to leave before it gets light as they are not normally a pretty sight in the morning!

yes, used to go home black bright

yes, used to go home black bright! ah happy days..........

i was indeed born in 1970, my memories are as follows...

we use to go in the bologne pub on the corner of ladies bridge then upto alleycats and turnups because that is where we could get in i was 16 and wore one of my dads old suits i must have looked hideous but thought i was the dogs b******s and i pulled a 23yr lass so i only just got myself and huge ego out of the door to be sick all down the girls ra-ra skirt(i never saw her again!!!).

around 88 we started going to cairojax (only in the cooler jax side though) and went thurs fri sat every week we would meet next door in silks. i think you either went to cairos or roxys it was like a rival thing. we always used to say the dolies went to roxys and if you had money you went to cairos but that was probably our immaturity at the time.

i also remember going to the limit on west street late 80s early 90s i think, we use to s**t ourselves though going to the toilets cos once my mate went and was closing the door and this black lad barged in the cubical and demanded all his money with a knife but cos of the rep the club had my mate had put his money in his sock so gave the lad 20p and got out....them were the days!!!

I was born in 1970, spent my clubbing, well working actually as a Student in Cairo-Jax. Started working early evening in Silks, next door, till 11. Then went to work in the 'round' bar in Cairo's (as you walk in down the stairs and paid, went to the left and up a couple of steps looked to the right down the corridor to Jax, but if you went straight on, the 'Long bar' was to the left -after the double doors- and the round bar was the 'cocktail bar' the smallest bar to the right). Used to love working on Thursday night, Student night!

Anyone else work there in the late 80's early 90's??

I started clubbing in 1985 at 16. I used to work in the Old Harrow at Grenoside on a Saturday night and then jump on the midnight bus in to town to meet my mates at the Limit.

I then moved on to working at the Leadmill for 7 years on Fridays/Saturdays. On the odd night off at the weekend, I used to like Isabella's. Always used to have a cracking night in there.

Last Monday before Christmas ( I know its precise) was Josephine's. Best night of the year. Don't know why, but became a bit of a tradition for my mates and me.

If any one can remember the Leadmill from 87-94, I was usually working the big bar, wearing shorts and staggering around!

Jim:thumbsup:

Born: 1969 - Boozing: 1986 (The York Hotel and West End, Broomhill).

Nightclubs: I did more clubs under the legal age than I have done since. In 1986 and 1987 I went fairly regularly and in these days I'd usually drink before the club and only have soft stuff inside, if indeed I drank at all! (How times change).

Isabella's was my favourite. Never too busy, no trouble and the music - to these ears - was fine. Club classics, a bit of house and a number of party classics. Most of my friends had their 18th birthday bashes there.

Maximillions - Okayish, I only went two or three times. It sold truly awful Budweiser on tap. I went with my bandmates in 1989. That was the last time I went although I seem to recall dancing to Colonel Abraham's 'Trapped' in 1986 wearing a black shirt with a pink leather (thin, straight) tie. Add to that floursecent pink socks and you'll see why the ladies steered well clear....:love:

Josephine's - A bit sophisticated or so it seemed. It even had a piano lounge/restaurant. Their door policy was quite strict and you didn't argue with 'Jaws'. Endless soul-lite like Luther Vandross but my abiding memory is of trying to dance like the lead singer from Curiosity Killed The Cat when their song Misfit came on. Thinking how cool I must be looking to all the nurses in there, it later dawned on me - with a great deal of hindsight - that I must have looked a right misfit myself.:hihi:

Al-E-Cats - Ugh. Endless hip-hop and house, frequented - in the front bar - by drunk cabbies. Spent a couple of Christmas parties in here. Last visit was probably Christmas 1987 when Pet Shop Boys were Number 1 with Always on my Mind - which they must have played because like I said, everything else was hip-hop which I detested (and still do).

Sinatra's - small but likeable. I have fond memories of this place which I'd prefer to keep to myself.

Cairo Jax - I could take or leave this place. Always full of well-past-their-bedtime school kids, sat rocking on the floor to Oops Upside Your Head. Having said that, I met up with quite a few old faces from my school days in there. There was always trouble too. Too busy for my liking. I remember Michael Jackson's Bad being played and thinking 'this is a wierd song for a disco: it does'nt even have a drum beat').

And the turd of them all, Butlins in Sheffield: The Roxy. You wiped your feet on the way out. That's if you could get them off the sticky carpet. Too much dry ice, women that should be frequenting knitting clubs not night clubs; the Hitman and Her, disco-by-numbers and enough to put one off clubbing for life.

Which it did.

Absolutely on the dollar. Some excellent discriptions there. Although you missed out Fannys at Owler Bar which had a life of its own.

Of course there was also an undercurrent of what were called 'soul nights' running in Sheffield throughout this period too. Stuck in back rooms (behind Maxs Down Town) or on odd nights like at Turn Ups on a Tuesday in the mid 80's.

Sinatras was something special looking back. Not musically mind blowing or cutting edge clubbing it just brought together a lot of people I think and created a lot of friendships (and maybe marriages and divorces too LOL and Ive seen a lot of those same people out again recently...looking older of course)