I sold my home for basically nothing

DrLazer

I recently sold my home.

I had Blundell's Haybrook and a few others come over.

I didn't like the sound of what they were offering.

- I wanted to sell my home.

- I was happy to show people around myself.

- I didn't want them to take the photographs, I'm a well known professional photographer, and although taking photos of property is not my speciality. I would take a guess that I would be taking better quality photographs myself. I don't think the estate agents have £5k cameras and would take the care I wanted adjusting the lighting, composition and levels of the photos.

- I didn't want a floorplan. Again I wanted to make my own. The ones I see on RM made by estate agents look pretty rubbish to me. There are plenty of online tools available to make nice ones for free.

- I wanted to be listed on RM

The average price for this was £2800. I would get a for sale board and printed brochures to hand out to viewers. I didn't want either of those things either really. I think people search for homes online these days, I didn't really want a board. Same with the brochures. It's online already. Save the print, just go and look online again

I didn't fancy forking out the best part of 3 grand for essentially ... nothing.

So I investigated, and found that there are ways to get listed on Rightmove for as little as £50.

I did just that. Sold my house in 3 days for £1.5k over asking price.

It makes me wonder why people use them. Unless you are not there to show people around.

I'm in the process of looking for a new place.

I work 9-5 and it's a nightmare.

Some empty properties I can't view because the estate agents will only do 9-5 also

Can't you at least look at the online details for most of the properties, so as to narrow-down the range of those which you want to see in person?

Can't you at least look at the online details for most of the properties, so as to narrow-down the range of those which you want to see in person?

Of course! But the problem comes after that, when I can't actually view it because I'm at work

Recently in my area a lady sold her bungalow though private treaty she did the legal side herself along with other property details. The bungalow went reasonable fast and the legal process was done by herself all parties involved were happy with the result.

How did you list directly on RM? When I was selling (4 years ago) it didn't seem possible to list on RM as an individual.

You need to be an "Estate Agent" to list.

There are companies out there that do nothing but answer calls and make them into emails, and most importantly ... list you on RightMove and Zoopla. Check out Visum for example (no affiliation)

Surprisingly, I've had quite a few private messages about this, so I'm glad you asked publicly. If anyone wants to head down this route and needs help, please get in touch and I can take your photos and create your floorplan for a tiny fee. I actually quite enjoyed doing it. Or if you can do it yourself then get going! You have no need to spend £2500+ on an Estate Agent. What exclusivity do they have over the buyers? Nothing! They're all on RightMove.

Here is my house sold on RightMove

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56145256.html

Good on you, i used haybrooks aswell, they were shocking, cant even take a photo right and came back another 2 times to do it, never answer calls etc, most of them are the same.They want your money but dont do much for it. It sounds like you are the sort of person haybrook SHOULD be employing ! Only use an estate agent if you really do not have the time to do it all yourself !