How Do You Make A Shandy?

Hello, Does anybody know how to make a Shandy in a 1 pint glass please? Do you use Lager or Beer? thanks in advance.

Either works, depending on whether you want lager or bitter shandy. I use more lemonade than beer, but that's because I'm a lightweight and can't take my drink. Anything from about 10% beer and 90% lemonade through to about 90% beer and 10% lemonade works, according to your taste :)

I prefer beer shandy to lager shandy - and for a pint o'shandy, I'd use a half pint of bitter and half pint of lemonade. Has to be bottled lemonade though - not that flat, over-sweet stuff from the bar soft drinks dispensing machine! The lemonade goes in first and it needs to be very cold - then top up the pint glass with with a half of your favourite ale from the hand-pump. Lovely and refreshing on a hot day.

Just mix beer or lager with lemonade to taste. Traditionally a shandy was made with beer, the equivalent with lager was a "lager top"

Put lemonade in first THEN STIR IT. I watched a "green" barman do it without stirring it and it was a disaster, gallons of foam everywhere.

Guest sibon
Put lemonade in first THEN STIR IT. I watched a "green" barman do it without stirring it and it was a disaster, gallons of foam everywhere.

When I was a barman, I was taught to put the beer in first. You slacken off the sparkler to get pretty flat beer, then add the lemonade.

That way, you don't get lemonade on the beer pump and a billion complaints from other beer drinkers who get a lemonady pint.

I asked for a shandy in a bar recently and was met with a blank stare by the 18(?) year old barmaid and had to explain.

When I was a barman, I was taught to put the beer in first. You slacken off the sparkler to get pretty flat beer, then add the lemonade.

That way, you don't get lemonade on the beer pump and a billion complaints from other beer drinkers who get a lemonady pint.

That's the way to do it. :thumbsup: ( I was brought up in pubs.)

Correct, beer first with no sparkler / creamflow filter. I've always considered shandy to be a 50:50 mix of either lager or ale but obviously ale is better ;)

Yep, that's how I was taught too.

At the moment the only alcohol I consume is in the shape of a tin of lager shandy now and then. It's 0.9% alcohol but it makes me feel like a grown up when everybody else is having a drink on days when it just doesn't look right to be drinking a cup of tea.

I'm 46 BTW, I am totally joking about the feeling like a grown up bit. I've drunk tea and crocheted in quite a lot of pubs over the last 30 years.

Hello, Does anybody know how to make a Shandy in a 1 pint glass please? Do you use Lager or Beer? thanks in advance.

Lager is beer.

You probably mean bitter or lager, both of which are beer.

Lager "top" is just that.

A pint of lager with a splash of lemonade.

A lager shandy will have a greater proportion of lemonade.