Coffee Bars In Sheffield In The 1950 And 60s

does anyone remember the coronation cafe it was on infirmary road in 1967. a woman called pat used to run it at the time, and she had a false eye.

Edited by nikki-red

I remember it early 60's. Hoover reps used it for their meetings and I went there each day for my dinner. I can't remember anyones name but it was a good meal

I only ever went in the Teenage tavern on Pinstone Street but my father warned me about what would happen if I went in the El Mambo! Was it as bad as it was supposed to be?

Police didn't close it down because they knew it was where they could probably find who they were looking for.

Police didn't close it down because they knew it was where they could probably find who they were looking for.

I think it closed down shortly after an article in the News of the World.

There is already a discussion about the El Mambo. on Sheffield History & Expats

Worth a search.

Edited by bazjea

A crowd of us used to go to The Disc Jockey opposite the Locarno every Friday night .Made sure last record to be played ont juke box was Ave Maria great nights

The Disc Jockey was my second home,we were all bike lads.

The Disc Jockey was my second home,we were all bike lads.

Hi Bullerboy so were we .All from the Hillsbro and Middlewood area 1956/60 era

Hi Bullerboy so were we .All from the Hillsbro and Middlewood area 1956/60 era
..........you will remember the "Palms" coffee bar then on Middlewood road near the park!.........later to become "Lanes" owned by Bronco Lane ex Sheffield Wednesday footballer.

..........you will remember the "Palms" coffee bar then on Middlewood road near the park!.........later to become "Lanes" owned by Bronco Lane ex Sheffield Wednesday footballer.

used to go in when it was the Palms .When it became the Lanes i was doing other things.It was brilliant being a teenager in those times.

used to go in when it was the Palms .When it became the Lanes i was doing other things.It was brilliant being a teenager in those times.
..........like having your arm round a girl on the back row of the Park Cinema or the Hillsbro Kinema Or the Phoenix?