Coffee Bars In Sheffield In The 1950 And 60s

I think it was Brendan Ellwood who owned the Elmambo.

I think it was Brendan Ellwood who owned the Elmambo.
.........don't think it was Brendan!,he would have been too young!

There are two Elwood brothers Oliver and Brendan and Oliver has a son called Brendan confusing or what.Big Brendan is into property development in a big way.

..........you will remember the "palms" coffee bar then on middlewood road near the park!.........later to become "lanes" owned by bronco lane ex sheffield wednesday footballer.

remember it well, and i left in the 60s

There are two Elwood brothers Oliver and Brendan and Oliver has a son called Brendan confusing or what.Big Brendan is into property development in a big way.
........correct BB!...I know both Brendan and Oliver and have dealt with both in business in the past.

I don't think Brendan Sr. ever owned the Elmambo but would stand to be corrected! Next time I bump into Brendan I will check!

I was a Mambo member around 1960 ish .

Names I remember , Martin Pass, Jimmy Bradshaw, Ann Jackson. Eileen Jackson , Rodney Goodison, Joe Hancock, Avril Coates , Mick Bond (bomber) Malcom Sargent ,Ralph Goodman, Charlie Hill and a lass called gas lamp as well as a lad called Shirley .

Mossdog,i used to fix Oliver and little Brendans cars and builders trucks,Oliver always seemed to live on a knife edge whareas little Brendan didnt give a monkeys,big Brendans wife has passed away recently so be tactful.

Mossdog,i used to fix Oliver and little Brendans cars and builders trucks,Oliver always seemed to live on a knife edge whareas little Brendan didnt give a monkeys,big Brendans wife has passed away recently so be tactful.
..........sorry to hear that! Have not seen either of the brothers for quite a while.The brothers were certainly different from each other.........as brothers often are!

When did the El Mambo finally close?

When planners decided we dint need a beautiful Victorian arcade that run from

Pinstone Street to Union Street.

When planners decided we dint need a beautiful Victorian arcade that run from

Pinstone Street to Union Street.

.........and sanctioned a huge ugly pile of red bricks at the bottom of the Moor,cutting the centre in half!