Where to live in Sheffield? Young family moving from overseas

This is very helpful as I'm about two weeks away from arriving in England and visit these places in person.

DumDom, Dawniechocs - I'm keeping an eye on Walkley and Woodseats to see if something pops up on rightmove that we like. Thanks for the recommendation.

The link that Cyclone posted is pretty helpful for the search. The specific area I was looking at in Brinsworth has a pretty low crime rate on it.

---------- Post added 21-08-2016 at 12:08 ----------

Georgie girl, thanks for taking the time to right down these details. Schools are gonna be pretty important for us, but currently I guess a daycare and good baby sitters are more important :) Are the bus links frequent? As only one of us drives at the moment.

Edited by umar_m

http://www.cruciblesalesandlettings.co.uk/properties/stone-fronted-for-rent-in-sheffield/

This one has just come up in S6, lovely big family house and close to the tram network, shopping centre and decent schools...

And No, before anyone asks, it's not mine and i don't know the owner, it's just a few doors away from me that's all...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by Longy67

Umar, there are 2 childcare providers nearby one in Brinsworth and the other called Kids at work which is 5 minutes away. There is a pre school for under 4s and all 3 primary schools have there own nurseries. There are also many registered child minders who have been looking after the local children for many years.

My children all went to Whitehill primary and loved it there. They then went on to the local comprehensive which is also in the village. They all have done really well and my son who has just left is off to University to study politics.

The bus to Rotherham is every 20mins and the one to Meadowhall every 30mins. There are also numerous buses running to local areas.

Brinsworth has a lovely community atmosphere. We have a village Favre and village bonfire and firework display every year. Lots of different groups hold events every week in the community centre and there is a weekly children group who meet to do lots of activities. The parish council take great pride in our area and employ a team of people who constantly cut the grass verges and clear any dropped litter. They also decorate the village centre and surrounding streets with beautiful hanging baskets every summer.

I can understand someone reading a data site would think that the info might be beneficial but that site reflects nothing of Brinsworth in fact it is totally wrong.

If I was working near Meadowhall I would definitely look at an area that is close to live because the rush hour traffic in Sheffield is terrible and you could be adding another 2 hours to your working day by living far out.

The data is not totally wrong, that's ridiculous.

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 07:46 ----------

Data on these sites is gathered by postcode and S60 covers many areas not just Brinsworth. I live here and can speak facts rather than gathered statistics.

It's not gathered by postcode or S6 would just be one massive block, the data is far more fine grained than that, as you'd realise if you had a look at it.

The data is not totally wrong, that's ridiculous.

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 07:46 ----------

It's not gathered by postcode or S6 would just be one massive block, the data is far more fine grained than that, as you'd realise if you had a look at it.

The data used is definitely not useless and includes extremely detailed stats relating to crime, levels of education, type and level of employment at a very small-scale level: each section consists of only a few streets.

That said, this website is using the 2010 data which is quite out of date. A more up to date assessment was released earlier this year using the 2015 data and can be found here:

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

There can be no clearer or true data than fact. I live here in Brinsworth and have for 19 year so do my family and friends and to say Brinsworth residents have a low standard of living and suffer high levels of crime is ridiculous.

And also I work for a major advice organisation who get there funding from selling this so called data and it is never broken down to specific areas and only viewed by postcode.

And I have looked at the data site you refer to Cyclone and at many others which totally contradict their views.

I also read many newspapers and have the common sense to realise that not everything in print is true.

I think you will find my quality of life is a fact not my opinion. An opinion would be an overview of a situation not a true observation which is what I am providing.

I hope whatever area Umar M chooses he is happy and safe and feels welcomed by his new neighbours.

I am off now to order some iron bars for my Windows and doors and the barbed wire for my fence will be arriving shortly.

P.S. Does anyone know how much it costs to hire a couple of bodyguards to protect me when I am walking my dog.

#Brinsworth the Bronxs of Yorkshire!!!!!!!!!

No, you're still definitely sharing an opinion. It's an opinion about the area based on your own observations. The only facts you can share are what you've personally observed, which is unlikely to be perfectly representative of the area and is probably biased.

I'm not sure about Meersbrook/Woodseats/ S8 in general if working at Meadowhall and drving. Commuting will be annoying.

Somewhere on that side of town or on motorway route would be better. I saw a couple of rentals in Laughton on rightmove, that don't look bad.