Modern Football .. Pah!

But they play in red and white so are clearly the best team in Spain ?

Great thread! Will come back to contribute.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 19:29 ----------

I personally think nationwide focus on teaching young kids how to play first of all mainly with the small futsal balls. Anyone who has practiced with both for a long time will definitely know how beneficial the smaller balls can be for improving close control, first touch, general comfort on the ball. All the most skilful players from South America and Southern Europe now and the past used these footballs when they were starting as young boys.

British players whenever I see them on the big international stages, with the exception of a small minority, (bale, scholes, Rooney when he was young), show themselves up as uninspired, lacking that killer touch of creativity, just too stiff.

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 19:31 ----------

There's a lot wrong with the game today, but more to be excited about than not!

Edited by AngryLocal

What the hell has happened to football??

For those of you over 35 years old (as am I), what do you really think about the state of modern football?

We used to have 'obstruction'. If you obstructed a player from getting to the ball using your arms, back, backside or whatever, it was an indirect free kick.

Now, it happens ten times a game and the commentator applauds the offender for 'showing good strength'. Back in the day, the player being obstructed would have put the offender on his a r s , or in the stand, but now it's considered 'quality'. Shielding the ball by using your body is a totally different scenario to stopping a player getting to a ball that 'isn't yours' in the first place.

Before a corner is taken, American style holding, blocking and shirt pulling is rife. ALL of these tactics are a penalty, and penalties should be given at least ten times a game. The ref sees these things happening, but just 'has a word'

If defenders tried this back in the 60's and 70's, they'd be going home with less teeth than they arrived with. It rarely ever happened.

Experts and commentators following a ridiculous penalty appeal view the video and come to the conclusion that 'There was contact, and he was entitled to go down' Why do these people advocate cheating and diving?

The player's only 'entitled to go down' when he has no other option. If he IS fouled with enough momentum, he HAS to go down, he can't stay on his feet. If he can stay on his feet, but chooses to go down, it's diving and should incur a 10 match ban.

Watch George Best videos if you get the chance. He often went past 3 or 4 players on a dribbling run, and probably 3 of 'em, sometimes all 4 tried to 'stop him somehow' but he rode tackle after tackle and foul after foul, and just got on with it. The refs didn't fuss too much about it either.

I have to say Messi regularly gets on with it after being scythed and chopped on numerous occasions.

Namby pamby player CR7 (great player by the way) goes down if he runs in to a gnat or a butterfly. The ref gives a foul because Ronaldo says it was. Pah!

Finally, yellow cards. Pah! Nearly all fouls result in yellow cards. Pundits analyse a slight touch on a player and rule 'That's a yellow for me'

Pah! Yellows should be for genuine naughty tackles, or for persistent offenders, or for acts like shirt pulling and 'obstruction' The more skillful players should be allowed to perform free from shirt pulling, grappling etc.

I never pulled one shirt in all my years of playing football. I have obstructed players on dozens of occasions, but I never, ever, got away with it.

The ref rightly gave a foul.

I look forward to 'Time Outs' in a few years time. The headlong rush to be more American is ruining many aspects of our great country, and our great game. It's time to put a stop to it.

Aren't 'Time Outs' an American (USA) sports thing ?

---------- Post added 13-11-2016 at 20:32 ----------

But they play in red and white so are clearly the best team in Spain

Sunderland play in red and white stripes and they are not the best team in.......?

see Rooneys not happy with the way the press is showing him up,on 300k a week and can't behave himself.

It really annoys me when teams show too much respect to the opposition.

Middlesbrough in the first half against Chelsea at home did exactly that and were rubbish.

In the second half they pressed high up the pitch and immediately the difference between the two teams was negligible.

What makes me squirm is all the nicey nicey stuff before the game. Blokes in a daft outfit being the "mascot", teams coming out holding the hands of cute little children, shaking hands before the start... pah!

Get out there and get stuck into them!

Just finished watching Liverpool v Sunderland match.

Sunderland had no composure on the ball - period.

Their defenders were taking their size 12 boots to the ball every time.

Defoe up front is weak as ....

What a shocking team! At least attempt to play some football.

If 80 percent possession isn't enough to spoil the game as a spectacle - then I don't know what is.

EPL needs to drop 4 teams from the division, then add Celtic and Rangers,making it a 18 team division.

English league is fast becoming like the Spanish and Scottish league where the big two regularly carve up the opposition. Actually its already there.

Another point - a minimum of 6 players from each team should be born in the UK.

EPL - is fast becoming the U.N League.

Dobby your an oldie like me, let's go back to the olden days, numbers 1-11 one sub and when a player is injured he goes off the pitch & play continues. Play with a ball heavier than a balloon any play acting from players they get ignored and the game goes on, let's face it how often are they really badly hurt.

Seen it in EURO 16 player gets tackled rollls 4 or 5 times, feigns death then gets up that should be a booking. Make them take proper throw ins and kick off every Saturday at 3pm, and in midweek 7:30pm.

Take all the stupid sponsorship off shirts; so attractive for fans to buy, without feeling like a walking billboard. Just the captain talks to ref and they shake hands at the end of a game not before, it's like a girl guides convention they'll be snogging next.

You can pass back to GK and he can pick it up, only hold it for 4 seconds then has to get rid. Today's game is full of overpaid Jessie's who fall over at the slightest contact, that's what I've liked about EURO 16 refs have said no foul and played on, every time Ronaldo loses the ball or gets tackled, he claims a foul the man is a disgrace, it's as if he thinks he's got a god given right not to be tackled.

And get the admission back to 3 bob.:cool:

just watched the Man Utd game,it's time Mike Dean hung his whistle up,2 atrocious decisions.

Watch it from the last angle.

No way was he ever going to get that ball before Jones. It was very late.

His studs were down sure,but what was he thinking to go in like that when he had zero chance of getting the ball before Jones?

For me it was a red card.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0B_NDpzFLM

Watch it from the last angle.

No way was he ever going to get that ball before Jones. It was very late.

His studs were down sure,but what was he thinking to go in like that when he had zero chance of getting the ball before Jones?

For me it was a red card.

Since when have late challenges been red cards? You'd end up with 5 a side.

Rightly been overturned by the FA.