Bachelors Foods

cherry t

That is so sad....I know they had two kids I think. Who are you btw...I don't suppose you recall the punch girls etc..?

I have a friend who worked in Batchelors DP a bit before your time, he left in '74.

He now lives in California but asked me to post a few names he remembered- Marjorie Hance, Barbara (can't remember her surname but she looked after tapes and discs and was married to a police officer) Lynne Jeffcock, Beverley (can't remember surname) Paul Bownes, John Hadfield, Mike Hawley, Willie Wombell, Mick Brown, Sheila Evans, John Wright.

Also, he's pointed out that there used to be pictures of the Batchelors lab kitchen on the Alamy website.

Edited by Walkley0 Mum

My mum worked there for about 30yrs.Her name is Ivy Fowler,think she worked in the cannery most of the time.Her best pal was Irene Beresford.

My mother worked in the canning department for a while, when they were doing soft fruit like strawberrys she told us the saying was, 'eat what you can and can what you can't'.

• 5 months later...
I have a friend who worked in Batchelors DP a bit before your time, he left in '74.

He now lives in California but asked me to post a few names he remembered- Marjorie Hance, Barbara (can't remember her surname but she looked after tapes and discs and was married to a police officer) Lynne Jeffcock, Beverley (can't remember surname) Paul Bownes, John Hadfield, Mike Hawley, Willie Wombell, Mick Brown, Sheila Evans, John Wright.

Also, he's pointed out that there used to be pictures of the Batchelors lab kitchen on the Alamy website.

I recall Marjorie she was sat just in front of Maurice, Sylvia and Colin. I do recall Mike Hawley, John Wright and Bill Wombwell.

Was it Bachelors who made the dried surprise peas? You bought them dried in a packet and put them in the pan to simmer and came out as very small and very sweet cooked peas.

I only thought about them recently as I have stayed in two hotels which seemed to have these on and also at a bar meal. I'm just wondering if they've made a comeback. Surprise peas, I loved them.