Nearest fishing shop

How far from you is your nearest fishing shop?

The reason I ask is that some years ago when I started fishing there were 4 within a 5 mile radius,the nearest 2 miles away.

There are a couple which cater for the anglers using their lakes but these are not open to the general public.

Any way one of the shops 4 miles away (where I bought my rods and reels) closed as it was losing customers and thousands of £s a year thanks to the local council introducing parking restrictions along the road.He owns another shop 22 miles from me.

Along came a national stackem high and sell it cheap chain (you know the one, DC).

Coincidence or not two more and one market stall closed.

And finally DC which had been taken over by Sports Direct shut its doors after a couple of years or so.

That left the nearest store 22 miles away.........A long way to go for a pint or two of maggots.So its either spend £5 on maggots and £6 on petrol or go without.

Small items I have to buy on line as the postage is cheaper than petrol!

I sometimes make the trip as it's a friendly shop with advice and a cup of tea.

Pity the way thing are going(have gone).

Moan over.

Edited by davyboy

That's a long way to travel for a pint of reds davyboy.

I have close to my home four shops plus one fishery shop but I mostly only use one, I have used the other that's a mile further for the odd item my preferred shop doesn't stock.

There used to be a fair few more.

I buy everything I need from my tackle shop, they provide good service with a good degree of security on items they sell. not something some internet sellers are strong at.

I don't know how I would manage with your predicament.

A quick guesstimate of tackle shop baits would be for me around 25 quid a week, that's mostly what it costs through the warmer months.

Up to this week this year bait bills have been drastically less with these clod nights, Probably only a fiver some weeks.

I go to the tackle shop around 4 times a week, at your travel costs that would be 24 quid.

That would mean I would have no money left for bait.

closest to me used to be less than a mile away: Bag-Up on Station Road at Chapeltown, but since that closed down the closest is either Kerfoot on Southey Green Road or Tardis at either Birdwell (the one I go to most) or Firth Park - all 3 of these by the way are great tackle shops

oh yeah, there's also one on Greengate Lane High Green I think, but I'm comfortable with the others I mention & I know they stock all the gear I need (ie. Drennan)

Bait-wise, I'm not a big spender, I generally fish various forms of pellet or corn, and if you buy your pellets in bulk it's far more economical, especially if you compare the cost against branded feed pellets... £3.99 for a 900g bag compared with less than a quid for a kilo...

Kerfoots tackle shop is 5 minutes walk from my house. They have just about everything I need but if they don't,it can be ordered.

Yes, good shop that & what a friendly little Staffy they've got

any shop that consistently sells the latest Drennan products is a winner in my book!

Give willyworms.co.uk a try out for maggots and baits …next day delivery if ordered before 1.00 pm

I ordered bait from them to take to Holland last year and it lasted 10 days with no problems

http://www.willyworms.co.uk/