School Places - why not just go to your local school?

Keep seeing that some people are happy with the schools their children have been allocated, yet others haven't

So why not just send kids to the local school?

So kids from Gleadless, go to Gleadless School, kids from Dore go to Dore School, Wincobank kids go to Wincoback school, Crookes kids, go to Crookes school?

Kids can then walk to school, it solves obesity, solves traffic congestion and kills half a dozen birds with one stone?

Or is that too much like common sense?

Keep seeing that some people are happy with the schools their children have been allocated, yet others haven't

So kids from Gleadless, go to Gleadless School, kids from Dore go to Dore School, Wincobank kids go to Wincoback school, Crookes kids, go to Crookes school?

Kids can then walk to school, it solves obesity, solves traffic congestion and kills half a dozen birds with one stone?

Schools can only take in a certain number of pupils, so some schools may be oversubscribed meaning that some local children have to go elsewhere. Also, parents sometimes want to send their children to higher attaining/faith schools.

Nonsense rather than the common variety. Where are these eponymous schools?

Thats how it worked for me. There was no choice. I knew which schools I was going to be going to from start to finish.

I suspect this is all about people thinking choice = better service, when in fact it does not.

You had no choice but perhaps your parents did.

Also, parents sometimes want to send their children to higher attaining/faith schools.

Not allowed to modify your quote, but that should read

"parents ALWAYS want to send their children to higher attaining schools".

---------- Post added 18-04-2016 at 14:36 ----------

Unlikely if he's an adult now (which he is).

The rather odd situation of children travelling all over the place instead of to the local school is a pretty recent one.

No, you went to the local School. I lived in a rural area so there was no choice of schools.

Everyone from your year at lower school, went to the same Middle school which covered a wider area and then we all went to the Upper School which again covered a wider area.

Not allowed to modify your quote, but that should read

"parents ALWAYS want to send their children to higher attaining schools".

---------- Post added 18-04-2016 at 14:36 ----------

Unlikely if he's an adult now (which he is).

The rather odd situation of children travelling all over the place instead of to the local school is a pretty recent one.

If you call the last 50 years recent

Well, I'm not 50, and yet I can tell you for a fact that there was no choice about which school I went to until Comprehensive. At which point you could either go to the local one, or by special arrangement to the next closest alternative (although hardly anyone did).