Sheffield's Hospital consultant suspended

What is happening to "free speech" in this country when someone cannot comment about something that happened at work. Political correction gone mad.:loopy:

The Trust policy regarding clothing is that members of staff should not wear their own 'outdoor' clothing whilst in theatres or in certain other designated areas within the department.

This includes shoes and items of clothing which have been worn outside of theatres ie. In the rest of the hospital and its' grounds or whilst travelling to the hospital.

Although the theatre hats are not sterile they are kept in theatres and therefore pose less of an infection control risk.

Occasionally surgeons and other members of staff can get blood on their theatre hats, surely it is preferable for blood to be on disposable clothing than on personal clothing. Disposable hoods, which cover more than normal theatre hats, are also available for use by members of staff - these hoods cover as much as the headscarves.

What is happening to "free speech" in this country when someone cannot comment about something that happened at work. Political correction gone mad.:loopy:

Well said.

Perhaps the best policy for anyone employed in the public services is not to post anything which might be construed as controversial online - if they want a quiet life. Even if they use a pseudonym, their identity is always at risk of being exposed. There was another case recently of a Greek doctor who got into hot water by making politically incorrect comments on Twitter. It would in my view be much better if we could say what we think on line without fear of retribution, but unfortunately we live in times where even the slightest infraction of conventional moral wisdom (even making comments in jest) is likely to jeopardise one's career.

Perhaps the best policy for anyone employed in the public services is not to post anything which might be construed as controversial online - if they want a quiet life. Even if they use a pseudonym, their identity is always at risk of being exposed. There was another case recently of a Greek doctor who got into hot water by making politically incorrect comments on Twitter. It would in my view be much better if we could say what we think on line without fear of retribution, but unfortunately we live in times where even the slightest infraction of conventional moral wisdom (even making comments in jest) is likely to jeopardise one's career.

Most employees already know this, the trouble is that consultants sometimes have great difficulty considering themselves to be an employee.

Hey, not saying you don't have a point with this instance. But in general, I would advocate a policy of online openness - where every username was accountable - too many people are content to hide behind a username. I would be happy to declare myself if everyone else was. Frankly, I think this should be policy on SF.

Hey, not saying you don't have a point with this instance. But in general, I would advocate a policy of online openness - where every username was accountable - too many people are content to hide behind a username. I would be happy to declare myself if everyone else was. Frankly, I think this should be policy on SF.

If that was to happen, i can visualise some people going round to other S/F user's houser's,with the sole intention of retribution.