Seven day NHS, free?

Jeremy Hunt has said that the imposition of the junior doctors contract is linked to a 7 day NHS.

I would have thought a 7 day NHS would take much more. Junior doctors already work 7 days.

Can we have more NHS, without more money, or perhaps there is more money? What will make the NHS 7 days?

Jeremy Hunt has said that the imposition of the junior doctors contract is linked to a 7 day NHS.

I would have thought a 7 day NHS would take much more. Junior doctors already work 7 days.

Can we have more NHS, without more money, or perhaps there is more money? What will make the NHS 7 days?

Our taxes of course.

With the vacuum of provision filled by private contractors, paid for by our taxes.

The 7 day NHS is a Trojan horse.

Edited by I1L2T3

There'll never be a 7 day full NHS service, the compromise that the Tories will accept will be Saturday as a full working day. I believe that the new junior doctors contracts certainly point towards this.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been thought through fully. For example without social services working on Saturdays the hospitals will not be able to discharge a lot of their patents as they can on a Monday to Friday, so they'll struggle to admit patients into those beds.

There'll never be a 7 day full NHS service, the compromise that the Tories will accept will be Saturday as a full working day. I believe that the new junior doctors contracts certainly point towards this.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been thought through fully. For example without social services working on Saturdays the hospitals will not be able to discharge a lot of their patents as they can on a Monday to Friday, so they'll struggle to admit patients into those beds.

Indeed.

Without a 7 day and full physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dietician, diabetes nurse, cardiac rehab nurse, social worker etc etc service this 24/7 dream the Tory party have will never happen.

Just having doctors and nurses 24/7 will not work.

Edited by Daven

I wonder how far the 55 million quid a day we give to the failed EU would go to helping solve this problem.

Angel1.

The short answer is "not very" - but I doubt you'd entertain a longer, more detailed explanation why the premise behind your post is fundamentally mistaken, even if I could be bothered to post it and even if it was in any way related to the topic

I would have thought that a seven day service is not happening so much, because of the more senior doctors, not the junior ones.

It's because hospitals need a whole load of staff to make it work if it goes 7 days. All the staff that man and support the facilities for out-patients, diagnostics etc... that normally only work in the week. Doctors are just part of the picture.