Should guys who did drug experiment get compensation?

Just heard on news that the guys who were paid to do drug experiments, the ones that went wrong a few weeks ago, are trying to get compensation. Is it just me who disagrees with this. After all they did go into the experiments knowing tht it was the 'unknown' and thats the reason they call them experiments, and were paid for it.

This doesn't mean that I don't sympathise with these guys, or their families, but surely this was their decision after all.

This experiment was held here because the Germans who invented it refused permission for it to take place over there. I think they should get compo because they were not fully informed of the dangers. Ultimately every drug has to have it's final test but luckily they are in more advanced stages than this one was. One poor lad looks like losing his digits if you saw the article and pictures. I don't think the ones given the placibo should get compo for "what could have been" as they are trying to.They got their £2000 anyway.

I'm in agreement with you they were paid for it and they are experimental drugs, however they must have signed some sort of legal agreement. It depends on the severity of the side effects described in that, I'm sure being near to death wasn't on there!!

Just heard on news that the guys who were paid to do drug experiments, the ones that went wrong a few weeks ago, are trying to get compensation. Is it just me who disagrees with this. After all they did go into the experiments knowing tht it was the 'unknown' and thats the reason they call them experiments, and were paid for it.

This doesn't mean that I don't sympathise with these guys, or their families, but surely this was their decision after all.

completely agree with you as long as they were clearly told before the test of the risks and it wasn't just documented in a massive document in section 13.4. I hope the risks were made very very very clear otherwise they could have an argument i think

It depends. If the drug company followed all the proper procedures and guidelines then absolutely not, they signed the consent forms and knew what they were doing. However, if it can be proved that there was any form of negligence or deliberate corner cutting by the drug company, then they should absolutely be entitled to sue them and receive compensation.

completely agree with you as long as they were clearly told before the test of the risks and it wasn't just documented in a massive document in section 13.4. I hope the risks were made very very very clear otherwise they could have an argument i think

Yes, I suppose so, perhaps I should reserve judgement until all the facts are known, although the way it stands at the moment I still disagree, just based on the fact that payment was made to the volunteers, and they accepted it.

No.

They were paid, and took a very slight risk, to be guinea pigs. Most of the time for such experiments people get paid good money for zero risk.

Most of the time policemen and soldiers aren't at risk in the job they get paid to do - but now and then a few get injured or killed.

They accepted the risk for a wage - as did the guinea pigs.

No, they shouldn't get compensation !!

Would 'you' agree to have drugs tested on yourself? I wouldn't on the grounds that things could go amiss.

I don't even feel that the test went 'wrong' I think it went well, these dangers had to be assessed before he drug was released - thanks boys!

I've never done a drug test, but assume one signs something saying that there may be rather nasty side effects etc. They knew what could happen ...and it did!

Sorry if that seems harsh.