What's going on in town? 26/01/2016

WiseOwl, Sarcasm with more than a hint of truth. Shouldn't our elected councillors and unelected overpaid civil servants be explaining to the people of this city why any incident, be it a fire, vehicle breakdown or collision, so easily brings the city to a standstill? It's time for explanations and changes not apologies. Their crackpot anti car policies don't work. It's time to get and keep the city moving

I don't believe that Sheffield is much different to any other large city.

There are too many vehicles on the road.

London found an effective way of reducing the volume of traffic trying to get into the city.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/congestion-charge-zone

This may be the way forward for Sheffield - maybe ?

Be very careful what you wish for cytine.

I don't believe that Sheffield is much different to any other large city.

There are too many vehicles on the road.

London found an effective way of reducing the volume of traffic trying to get into the city.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/congestion-charge-zone

This may be the way forward for Sheffield - maybe ?

Be very careful what you wish for cytine.

If you are referring to the congestion charge, it will not work here. People are avoiding the city already do you think they will actually pay to enter it?

For what it's worth, I think the roads should be opened up and used for the purpose they were built, and we pay heavily to use, get rid of the useless one-ways, no entries and other pointless obstructions. It seems obvious to me that if there are two roads, close one and the traffic then has to use the one remaining, causing congestion.

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote tags

Eccelsall Road, Rutland Road and Snig Hill are ALL Sheffield?

Do you think those three roads were gridlocked in isolation??

He mentioned those roads because that's where they happened to be when they observed the gridlock.

If you are referring to the congestion charge, it will not work here. People are avoiding the city already do you think they will actually pay to enter it?

For what it's worth, I think the roads should be opened up and used for the purpose they were built, and we pay heavily to use, get rid of the useless one-ways, no entries and other pointless obstructions. It seems obvious to me that if there are two roads, close one and the traffic then has to use the one remaining, causing congestion.

Sadly sometimes what seems obvious is just wrong. One way systems usually reduce congestion, because two flows of traffic can obstruct each other, either because of parked cars or other obstructions on or other side of the road, or because of traffic turning across the flow. Cars move faster.