Lost Breweries of Sheffield

Whitesides in Attercliffe.

Was Mappins a Sheffield brewery? They were taken over by Stones in the late 50's. I remember, as a kid, The Plough at Catcliffe being a Mappins pub then changing to Stones They even named the street besides it after the Mappins Brewery.

Edited by TORONTONY

To start the ball rolling , Cannon Brewery , Rutland Road, Wards Brewery , Exchange Brewery near the old Town Hall.

Hope and Anchor Breweries (Claywheels Lane), Duncan Gilmour ( Bridge Street) across from what was then Tennant's.

Hi, My grandfather ( James Harvey ), was head Brewer at the Sheffield Free Brewery in Queens Road. Main brand was Matchless Ales. Other members of the family worked there, and occupied 3 houses in Queens Rd. I think it was taken over, and closed down in about 1950. I proudly own a Matchless Ales beer mat. Kind Regards, Ed Harvey.

Wasn't there 2 breweries located to either side of Bramall Lane, John St / Cherry St ?

Up until recently I am sure there was an old building on Cherry St (Lavers) which was the original brewery building, and I was led to believe the other was in the vicinity of John St /Countess Rd block near the Wardonia works