David Cameron : the luckiest politician ever ?

That`s just a cop out. Saying we can`t put all the world`s wrongs right so we shouldn`t even try is just so anathema to me. You might as well say we can`t catch all criminals so let`s not bother trying to catch any. What`s the difference ?

So Corbyn has it totally wrong over Syria.

Beat me to it, I was going to say Bliar must be the luckiest, he should be serving time for war his crimes instead of jetting around the world as a "peace envoy".

Angel1.

Yup. Can't see you getting too many dissenters to thinking Blair is pretty lucky right now. One day I really hope to see him in court and not to help his wife out either.

All politicians are inherently lucky people by virtue of getting being able to climb the ladder to the top, but that does not mean they did nothing to get there. Tony Blair would never have been Labour Leader if John Smith had not died suddenly for example, but he needed to do a lot of work to make Labour electable again. Cameron has had a similar struggle to turn the Torys into an electable party once more.

The assumption that Cameron has become PM purely by luck and not due to his own merits is absurd. This just sounds like more sour grapes from the left who know, with the election of Corbyn, they will be out of power for a very long time.

This thread seems to be yet another Labour Fanclub circlejerk?

All politicians are inherently lucky people by virtue of getting being able to climb the ladder to the top, but that does not mean they did nothing to get there. Tony Blair would never have been Labour Leader if John Smith had not died suddenly for example, but he needed to do a lot of work to make Labour electable again. Cameron has had a similar struggle to turn the Torys into an electable party once more.

The assumption that Cameron has become PM purely by luck and not due to his own merits is absurd. This just sounds like more sour grapes from the left who know, with the election of Corbyn, they will be out of power for a very long time.

This thread seems to be yet another Labour Fanclub circlejerk?

Cameron got to where he got because of his parents contacts, and then his own. However, whilst I'm not a fan of the Tories, he is a good politician, although that's not really a compliment.

It's negative stuff. Not about what I can and will do, but about how crap I can make my opposition out to be

This is what peed me off THE MOST

About the last elections

The stinking, rotten, game played by the CONservatives

Made me SO mad :mad:

Cameron got to where he got because of his parents contacts, and then his own. However, whilst I'm not a fan of the Tories, he is a good politician, although that's not really a compliment.

So how is someone from a wealthy background going to make it to your satisfaction? Cameron turned round the Conservative Party. It looks like his legacy will keep them in power for a long time.

This is what happens when you pick the wrong leader. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-to-appoint-ken-livingstone-as-labour-peer-in-bid-to-get-hard-left-ally-into-the-shadow-a6771261.html

You couldn't make it up.:hihi:

So how is someone from a wealthy background going to make it to your satisfaction? Cameron turned round the Conservative Party. It looks like his legacy will keep them in power for a long time.

This is what happens when you pick the wrong leader. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-to-appoint-ken-livingstone-as-labour-peer-in-bid-to-get-hard-left-ally-into-the-shadow-a6771261.html

You couldn't make it up.:hihi:

How on earth did you get that from my response? Seriously, some of you posters on here need to brush up on your reading skills. I'm starting to wonder if this place is beyond hope for any interesting thread with people who talk to each other like adults and discuss and comment rather than just pathetic point scoring.

Oh look heres a link that shows your leader is rubbish, well heres mine that shows your is worse! No my dad is better than your bad. Honestly, shut up with the playground drivel and have a conversation.

Rant over.

How on earth did you get that from my response? Seriously, some of you posters on here need to brush up on your reading skills. I'm starting to wonder if this place is beyond hope for any interesting thread with people who talk to each other like adults and discuss and comment rather than just pathetic point scoring.

Oh look heres a link that shows your leader is rubbish, well heres mine that shows your is worse! No my dad is better than your bad. Honestly, shut up with the playground drivel and have a conversation.

Rant over.

So you don't like the truth eh?

There was no luck on Cameron's behalf getting to the top of his party and rescuing the country from Labour. It was the Tory Party who were lucky to pick the right leader. Do you think Corbyn is lucky to be leading his party? Are they lucky to have someone so cabable of unifying the differing factions of the political party at Westminster?

So you don't like the truth eh?

There was no luck on Cameron's behalf getting to the top of his party and rescuing the country from Labour. It was the Tory Party who were lucky to pick the right leader. Do you think Corbyn is lucky to be leading his party? Are they lucky to have someone so cabable of unifying the differing factions of the political party at Westminster?

Of course there was luck. He was lucky to be born in the UK for a start. He was lucky to born into a wealthy family, he was lucky to get entrance to Eton, he was lucky to get a place at Oxford.

But seeing as you still appear to prefer digs at other posters rather than a reasoned answer, luck only gets you so far. You do have to use the advantages given to you, which he has done. However, apart from Thatcher (and now Corbyn), every single leader of any party pretty much since WW2 has come from a wealthy background, majority were privately educated. I'm not knocking people for being rich for heavens sake! I was privately educated and went to Sandhurst! Be like slagging myself off, but it DOES give huge advantages in life in certain things. Politics is definitely one.

And to answer your other question, yes Corbyn is lucky to be Labour leader, he had less advantages than Cameron on paper but he was lucky to tap into a growing left-wing swell of feeling at precisely the right time.

Ever single person who posts on this forum is lucky simply to have been born into a country where we have such freedom to debate things like this.

he was lucky to get a place at Oxford.

Luck? You think its luck to get into one of the top 10 universities in the world?

Well we better throw out all the book by the likes of Professor Stephen Hawking's right away as he didn't get there on merit if all it takes is luck.

Luck? You think its luck to get into one of the top 10 universities in the world?

Well we better throw out all the book by the likes of Professor Stephen Hawking's right away as he didn't get there on merit if all it takes is luck.

Maybe I'll take that one back! But the rest of the post? Do you not agree?