David Cameron : the luckiest politician ever ?

His luck just ran out.

He has his own hubris to blame for this. Referendums are always risky. The guiding principle of governments should be to never hold one unless you can be absolutely sure of the result. He rode his luck with the Scottish referendum and obviously thought that he could repeat the trick.

Or did his luck run out? He said he was going to step aside before the next election. He will.

One thing is for certain when it comes to ex-Prime Ministers. They get rich very quickly when they stop doing it.

Didn't have a principled bone in his body. Always looking for a compromise to keep everyone happy. His views were always unknown, everything was negotiable whatever the subject. Then bluster and bully.

And when the above didn't work try to scare the public into not voting for the other side. He was finally hoisted on his own petard.

Or did his luck run out? He said he was going to step aside before the next election. He will.

One thing is for certain when it comes to ex-Prime Ministers. They get rich very quickly when they stop doing it.

He will for ever more be labelled as the PM who took the UK out of the EU, through a catastrophic mistake rather than by design. This is what he will be most remembered for. What a legacy.

All the money he will undoubtedly earn after he leaves office will not wipe this stain away.

Edited by nikki-red

It's as I said previously. He dug himself in to the mire by spinning one after another catastrophe if we exited, instead of just saying, Personally I think we are better of remaining in the EU, but either way I will respect the views of the British electorate. That way he would not have lost face and could have kept on as Prime minister.

He will for ever more be labelled as the PM who took the UK out of the EU, through a catastrophic mistake rather than by design. This is what he will be most remembered for. What a legacy.

All the money he will undoubtedly earn after he leaves office will not wipe this stain away.

You probably missed the fact that the majority of voters actually voted to come out of the EU. Cameron will be remembered as the Prime Minister who allowed us to escape. None of the others would let us have that choice. That's not a bad legacy and hardly a stain.

.......you should count yourself lucky that we have managed to extricate ourselves from the black hole of the EU!.... a cash devouring non wealth producing juggernaut of egocentric failed politicians!........jog on.

Edited by nikki-red

You probably missed the fact that the majority of voters actually voted to come out of the EU. Cameron will be remembered as the Prime Minister who allowed us to escape. None of the others would let us have that choice. That's not a bad legacy and hardly a stain.

A guy on Sky News said earlier today that the result is the biggest disaster for any Prime Minister since Chamberlain came back from Munich waving his piece of paper.

Some legacy.

A guy on Sky News said earlier today that the result is the biggest disaster for any Prime Minister since Chamberlain came back from Munich waving his piece of paper.

Some legacy.

Well if some guy on sky new said it, it must be true.

Chamberlain failed to avert the biggest war in history. Cameron has (somewhat unintentionally) extracted us from a failing trading bloc with delusions of grandeur. Your "guy on Sky News" is a total muppet.

I`m certain if they held a referendum rerun tomorrow (with no postal votes from [up to] weeks ago), the result would be the other way. Things are starting to come home to roost. The Exit campaign banged on and on that there wouldn`t be huge falls in sterling and shares, but there has been. I have just been listening to R5 and some of the things they were saying about the differences in travel within Europe for the British are very worrying. Then there`s what may happen with Scotland, etc etc. I kept asking myself who the hell voted to leave ? How often (if ever) do they ever travel in Europe ? Do they ever question what they`re told (e.g the infamous lie of million pounds a day) ?

---------- Post added 24-06-2016 at 21:48 ----------

Well if some guy on sky new said it, it must be true.

Chamberlain failed to avert the biggest war in history. Cameron has (somewhat unintentionally) extracted us from a failing trading bloc with delusions of grandeur. Your "guy on Sky News" is a total muppet.

Is not a fact that better educated people were more likely to vote to remain, and less well educated were more likely to vote to leave ? What do you think that tells you ?

Edited by Justin Smith

To be fair he does have strong leadership qualities. And he's a good tactician and astute at understanding risk. He lets himself down in many other areas though.

Bet you wish you'd never said that! Lol:hihi:

I wonder what Cameron is thinking now.......

In my view he is responsible for unleashing this Brexit nightmare* just to give him an easier time with his party. The Brexit result had a significant impact on the US Presidential election (it was frequently quoted by Trump himself, and he even got Farage to appear with him), certainly bearing in mind it was a tight contest.

It could be argued Cameron gave us Brexit (possible dismemberment of the UK, certainly a huge political and constitutional crisis and deep divisions which will take some healing) and now Trump.

Good work, not.

* Remember, before the last election less than 15% of people even put Europe in the top three of their concerns, and UKIP less than 13% of the vote at the GE.

I wonder what Cameron is thinking now.......

In my view he is responsible for unleashing this Brexit nightmare* just to give him an easier time with his party. The Brexit result had a significant impact on the US Presidential election (it was frequently quoted by Trump himself, and he even got Farage to appear with him), certainly bearing in mind it was a tight contest.

It could be argued Cameron gave us Brexit (possible dismemberment of the UK, certainly a huge political and constitutional crisis and deep divisions which will take some healing) and now Trump.

Good work, not.

* Remember, before the last election less than 15% of people even put Europe in the top three of their concerns, and UKIP less than 13% of the vote at the GE.

You should be proud to be British that the American people followed our lead.