Why did The Labour Party choose Jeremy Corbyn as leader?

That gives the opportunity for a small clique of members to control the party locally, which was what was happening pre-Blair. The electorate are very different from the party activists.

Ok, accepting that. How else do you stop it? My area is going to vote in Labour for the next 999 years I would presume. They could probably because communist or rebrand as the Nazi party and they' probably still get elected. Therefore my local MP has no incentive to do anything locally, they just need to make sure they don't get deselected. Now I'd rather vote for any Labour candidate in my area to try to support Labour nationally, so I equally part of the problem. My MP has won his seat since 1983. I was born in 1983 for heavens sake...now he might be a fab local MP, but wouldn't it be great if we had a say on whether perhaps someone else would be better? I do see your point about things could be hijacked, but that seems unlikely and STILL a better option than the status quo! The Labour leadership vote would have gone the same way with none of the new members votes counting. (I rely on Max's numbers as I don't have them)

Ok, accepting that. How else do you stop it? My area is going to vote in Labour for the next 999 years I would presume. They could probably because communist or rebrand as the Nazi party and they' probably still get elected. Therefore my local MP has no incentive to do anything locally, they just need to make sure they don't get deselected. Now I'd rather vote for any Labour candidate in my area to try to support Labour nationally, so I equally part of the problem. My MP has won his seat since 1983. I was born in 1983 for heavens sake...now he might be a fab local MP, but wouldn't it be great if we had a say on whether perhaps someone else would be better? I do see your point about things could be hijacked, but that seems unlikely and STILL a better option than the status quo! The Labour leadership vote would have gone the same way with none of the new members votes counting. (I rely on Max's numbers as I don't have them)

There's nothing to stop Labour organising a primary election on-line and/or by post. I think it's a jolly good idea. Perhaps the other parties would follow suit.

As others have said that allows manipulation by a small group of party activists in local parties. A better check on MPs sitting in pin a red/blue rosette on a donkey seats would be some kind of recall law that allows a bi election to be called if they use their majority to go way off piste. I think this has been proposed a few times but never seems to make it into law.

As others have said that allows manipulation by a small group of party activists in local parties. A better check on MPs sitting in pin a red/blue rosette on a donkey seats would be some kind of recall law that allows a bi election to be called if they use their majority to go way off piste. I think this has been proposed a few times but never seems to make it into law.

We might just have to do that awful thing and agree to disagree here. As it's not been done, neither of us can say what would happen without giving it a go. I think it's unlikely 'activists' would massively scupper the vote. For a start they'd have to be registered to vote in that constituency meaning any activists would be scattered throughout the UK anyway, making them a much smaller force. Just like many things though, only active party members would likely vote, but that's the way life goes. If you can't be bothered to put a small amount of effort in to help steer the route your own country is taking, well then, you don't get a massive say in things. How many 'activists' do you think live in Rother Valley constituency? I'm likely the only one! :D

And I think this is part of the problem that Labour is trying to change direction rapidly without making it clear where they are trying to get to. I think a new manifesto/agenda/policies document needs producing ASAP to help clarify what 'new-new/old Labour' stands for.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

That's a great idea. Stand for election on a manifesto and then produce another one to say what you are actually going to support.

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 13:38 ----------

. Once that is in place all the MPs need to go and have a quiet few minutes with their hearts and see if they can sign up to the new direction, and if they can't then they should be thanked sincerely for their service and helped to leave the party with dignity on both sides.

I see Labour's biggest Donor Assem Allam who gave over 3/4 million quid to Labour has offered to help them do just that.

He say's he thinks Labour is dead in the water under Corbyn, and will fund any sitting MP who wants to defect to the Libdems.

Edited by exxon

Once that is in place all the MPs need to go and have a quiet few minutes with their hearts and see if they can sign up to the new direction, and if they can't then they should be thanked sincerely for their service and helped to leave the party with dignity on both sides.

Do they also stand down as MPs?