Care homes in sheffield

Would like an update on care homes please. Could anyone recommend a dementia/care home of which they have experience, either by themselves or relatives. It's a minefield out there, looked on CQC etc but there is no better recommendation than someone who has personally experienced it.

Frightened of picking the wrong place!

Also has anyone got any experience of Loxley Park on Loxley Road, good, bad, prices etc

Thankyou

Edited by chocki

My Auntie is in the one on Herries Road, not the new one where the Five Arches pub used to be but the old one further down, they are very good with her there.

The one next to chap baths is excellent,my mum was there for 2yrs,really caring staff.

The one next to chap baths is excellent,my mum was there for 2yrs,really caring staff.

Thanks for that. Do you know what it's called please then I can look it up on Internet

---------- Post added 17-11-2015 at 20:41 ----------

My Auntie is in the one on Herries Road, not the new one where the Five Arches pub used to be but the old one further down, they are very good with her there.

Thanks for that, do you know what it's called please then I can look it up on Internet

The CQC reports are a bit of a lottery too, I'm afraid. One of the NHS units that I know of was marked down because a bank nurse who had come to the unit for the first time (and who would be paired with an experienced member of staff) was asked, even before being in handover, to name each of the patients without referring to a reference source, and of course failed to be able to name all of the residents. This was quoted in the report as 'staff are unable to identify their residents accurately', which is not really an accurate quoting of one brand new member of staff not being allowed to refer to a sheet to identify residents when on her first shift.

It's a nightmare Medusa. What looks like a good report is dated 2013 and sounded good. Spoke to a friend of mine who works in this field and she said her daughter has just left there because it's in trouble with CQC!!

That's why I'm trying to get personal experiences/comments. I know everyone and everywhere is different but it's worth a shot

Would like an update on care homes please. Could anyone recommend a dementia/care home of which they have experience, either by themselves or relatives. It's a minefield out there, looked on CQC etc but there is no better recommendation than someone who has personally experienced it.

Frightened of picking the wrong place!

Also has anyone got any experience of Loxley Park on Loxley Road, good, bad, prices etc

Thankyou

Birch hill next to chap baths chocki, my mum was in two others before that and they were shocking.I have 4 sisters and they highly rated it for the food,cleanliness and most important the staffs attitude to the patients.

It's a nightmare Medusa. What looks like a good report is dated 2013 and sounded good. Spoke to a friend of mine who works in this field and she said her daughter has just left there because it's in trouble with CQC!!

That's why I'm trying to get personal experiences/comments. I know everyone and everywhere is different but it's worth a shot

Go to some. Go to the same one several times. Talk to residents families.

If there's a waiting list that's not a bad indication.

Go to some. Go to the same one several times. Talk to residents families.

If there's a waiting list that's not a bad indication.

That's what we are in the process of doing tinfoilhat. Thought we'd found one but it didn't turn out as expected so back to square 1!!

Lots of people I know also go by the smell in the units ;)

Thanks for that, do you know what it's called please then I can look it up on Internet

Hi chocki, its called Springwood, the link to their website takes you to the owners who have a few care homes across the city, I have no idea what the other homes they own are like, this is the link.

Their is also a new care home on the junction of Herries Road and Teynham Road which I have heard good reports of from a couple of friends.

Good luck in finding one that suits chocki :)

---------- Post added 17-11-2015 at 21:47 ----------

Lots of people I know also go by the smell in the units ;)

Good point, I have visited a few in the past that were truly awful.

This is the hardest thing we as a family had to do so it is important that you find the right place for her as moving someone with Dementia is very confusing. You need to visit without appointment as you can then see what the place is actually like without them preparing. When we were looking we went to a few homes and just by walking in and been greeted by someone you could get an idea what they were like, one home didn't really want to shown us round, it was too much trouble and didn't seem interested until we insisted on looking at a room.

I recommend Aaron House Collegiate Crescent - 01142660310 this is the one we chose for my mum, she has Dementia, the staff are excellent with the residents and the food is all home made. Not all residents have Dementia which is good as they can interact with others, my mu has made more friends in there than she had at home. There are activities Mon-Fri, hairdresser, chiropodist. They have animals visit, go on visits (mainly during summer) and there is someone coming to put on a pantomime next month.