Shah Groceries, Abbeydale Road

Shah Groceries, down from Abbeydale Cinema, I see it has been gutted and is being revamped, I think the owner who has been there for years may have retired or moved?

Anyway it looks like they are building some sort of bar in there , considering the fashion for real ale, I was just wondering if it was going to become a new real ale bar there ? If so it would make a nice accompaniment to the Picture House, Broadfield and the craft beer shop .... anyone heard anything ?

Shah Groceries, down from Abbeydale Cinema, I see it has been gutted and is being revamped, I think the owner who has been there for years may have retired or moved?

Anyway it looks like they are building some sort of bar in there , considering the fashion for real ale, I was just wondering if it was going to become a new real ale bar there ? If so it would make a nice accompaniment to the Picture House, Broadfield and the craft beer shop .... anyone heard anything ?

It was in the star that mr Shah has retired after so many years in business, don't know what it's going to be but if I find out I will let you know...

Shame he has retired, he was such a nice man and always so helpful in choosing food items :-)

Such a lovely man, sadly for him the competition became bigger and better, I wish him health and happiness in his retirement.

Stokes paint has taken the lease and will be moving in soon.

Such a lovely man, sadly for him the competition became bigger and better, I wish him health and happiness in his retirement.

Or did he just reach an age where he wanted to retire? It's a loss because I used to shop there for obscure Asian ingredients.

When was the shop first opened and was it the first of its kind in Sheffield?

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 16:47 ----------

It was in the star that mr Shah has retired after so many years in business, don't know what it's going to be but if I find out I will let you know...

Can't find the article in the Star.

Stokes Paint or a bar - which is it? I'd prefer a bar...

If so, a gentle touch of irony.

All those pubs converted into curry restaurants, now an asian grocers into a pub.....

:-)

Ooh well a paint shop will be very welcome also to complement the other hardware shops in the area :-)

Did some work for Mr Shah about a year ago, gave me a bunch of bananas and a couple of coconuts as a tip. Nice bloke.

Stokes Paint or a bar - which is it? I'd prefer a bar...

Stokes Paint.

Closing the shop on Little London Road now the paint business has been sold to Spencer Coatings of Mansfield. The old knowledgeable staff have been made redundant and no doubt all the obscure and weird product lines will have gone too.

I used to go to school with Lee Shah.

That shop harks back to my childhood back in the early 70's, I always remember being interested in the then strange and wonderful array of fruit and vegetables they used to have on show.

Happy Retirement Mr Shah.