Chapeltown to Sheffield Commute

Well, it's not a whole load of fun I'm afraid! Been doing that route (several variations) for 15 years and sometimes it's just awful!

I mostly do variations of: Ecclesfield (High St, avoiding traffic lights past Morrisons), Barnsley Road past Northern General, Rutland Road, Penistone Road.

Sometimes this involves going more to Parson Cross and Moonshine Lane (recent bridge work on Barnsley Rd necessitated this route for a while!). Sometimes if Penistone Rd is busy I more or less go over it to Infirmary Rd to avoid the University roundabout.

There's endless "shortcuts" and routes (sometimes I also turn right at the college on Barnsley Road and cut across that way towards Rutland Rd too) - all much of a muchness but always quicker than Penistone Road.

Just don't tell anyone, ok? ;-)

Thanks for all the advice - I am thinking of getting a scooter next year so the wife and little-un can have the car anyways - will also try the train and parking on station road option. I left at 7:25 this morning and it still took just under an hour!

Thanks for all the advice - I am thinking of getting a scooter next year so the wife and little-un can have the car anyways - will also try the train and parking on station road option. I left at 7:25 this morning and it still took just under an hour!

Wow! Was that Penistone Rd? At that time (with the above methods) I can usually do it in half an hour. x

yes it was penis tone road - just crawled pretty much from the end of my road all the way to city centre - I think I've just been spoilt for too long having lived in meersbrook with a 10 min quick trip into town anytime of the morning!

yes it was penis tone road - just crawled pretty much from the end of my road all the way to city centre - I think I've just been spoilt for too long having lived in meersbrook with a 10 min quick trip into town anytime of the morning!

Trust me - it's a form of self-harm - stay well away from that road ;-)

Try Ecclesfield tomorrow and see if that helps :-)

Hi, I probably live on the same road as you (or very close). An alternative option would be Over to Oughtibridge, then towards Hillsborough and jump on the tram. But you'll probably only take 10 minutes off your time.

Tbh if you're prepared to cycle you could get it down to 25 minutes.

Alternatively, if you can work unsociable hours the commute will be a pleasure. :)

+1 for the bike option. Either cycling the whole way, or down to the station in Chap.

Bits of it will be hard work at first, but it's so much more satisfying that sitting in stationary traffic...

I'm seriously considering starting cycling again. I used to cycle from Stocksbridge to Neepsend and back, so it should be easy, I'm just lazy. I've done my new commute once, and found the A61 a little scary, but the bus is annoying. Gonna get myself lit up like a Christmas tree, and get back out there :)

+1 for bike. Bike to Chapeltown station and then train into Sheffield will be by far the quickest and relaxing(!) option. Cheaper in the long term as well.

There are plenty of ways in the car but all are at the mercy of congestion and/or roadworks that pop up overnight.

I used to live in High Green, public transport has always been terrible there.

I work in Chapeltown and used to live in Walkley and faced the Chapeltown bus not turning up at least two days a week. It got that bad I had to set off to work an hour early every day just to get there.

The single best solution?

Do what hyper said and get two wheels.