Accident just down from fairways ,road closed

my wife has just witnessed a awful accident with a audi and a ambulance on the junction where the new fire station has been built near birley , rd totally closed , the impact totally flipped the ambulance , everyone seams ok , but rd totally closed off

Sheeeet, just this morning i said to the kids an accident is bound to happen there with some of the driving i saw. Hope everyone's ok.

the ambulance was coming down from the fairways with blues and twos on but the audi had right as way as lights were green for them , but audi could not of heard sirens , just glad everyone is ok

yeah, thats good news.

I will be in the know on this later and will update on the drivers

Wifey says she's just seen this and the ambulance was on its roof upside down, do we know for definite that everyone's alright?

the ambulance was coming down from the fairways with blues and twos on but the audi had right as way as lights were green for them , but audi could not of heard sirens , just glad everyone is ok

I'm not commenting on this incident at all - I just feel compelled to correct you on "right of way" - there is no such thing as a right of way (HC PAGE 34). A green traffic light is proceed with caution, therefore. It is vital that road users acknowledge and understand this.

I will be in the know on this later and will update on the drivers

Nice one matey :)

Here a photo:

It was only last month someone took out the bollards on that junction.

I don't know what the problem is, but the layout seems to encourage drivers to take the route from Birley Moor Road across to Moor Valley - a straight line from a downhill stretch - at excessive speed. It's a 30 MPH limit on Birley Moor Road, but you wouldn't think so as everyone accelerates once past the Occupation Lane junction. This then seems to encourage driving through the lights on amber or even when just turned red.

The other issue is cars turning right from Sheffield Road to Birley Moor Road; the stop line is so far back because of the tram tracks, you can get three or four cars in the junction trying to turn right. As the traffic in a morning is constant from Birley Lane, if you aren't in the junction, you aren't turning right. Consequently the lights turn red for the opposing traffic, the cars in the junction make the turn and then some muppet on green from Birley Moor Road almost drives into the side of your car, even though he could see you from distance.

Any update on those involved in this incident earlier ?

Just found this report

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/update-ambulance-driver-taken-to-hospital-after-collision-on-sheffield-road-1-7467539

According to the report it appears those involved had a lucky escape. It could have been so much worse had the ambulance been on it's way to hospital with a sick patient on board.

Best wishes to all those involved.

Edited by Daven

Looks like look north used the same picture of the accident this morning.