Canon 1200D - Good or Bad?

I am looking for honest opinions as to the quality of a Canon 1200D. I am currently using a Canon 20D that I have had now for some years, but am looking to upgrade.

I have done a Canon 1200d vs 20d online and the result has come back that the 1200D is better. However, there are very little in the way of reviews for this camera.

In January, I am attending a college course to advance my photography skills, but feel that the 20D is not appropriate because of its age. Any advice would be helpful. I have a budget of around £300-£340.

The package I am thinking of purchasing is a Canon 1200D with two lenses, the standard kit lens and a Zoom with Macro 70-300mm lens, priced at £339.00

Hi go into Harrisons on London rd they have new and used cameras and lenses.They will give you advice and let you try them to see which one you feel comfortable with and which one suits your needs, they may also take your 20d in part exchange.

Hello blue9iron,

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about keeping the Canon 20D as a back up camera for bad condition shoots. Thus, making the 1200D my primary camera. Do most photographers have just the one camera, or do they have a backup?

In my experience, people tend to have one DSLR for 'proper shots' and a point and shoot camera for when an SLR isn't practical. The obvious exception to this being professional photographers who need a backup in case of a camera failure at a critical moment, eg weddings.

Though then you're looking at people with 5D level cameras.

If you don't need the bit of cash that the 20d is worth then you might as well keep hold just in case but personally I'd get rid and put the money towards something useful for the new camera.

In my experience, people tend to have one DSLR for 'proper shots' and a point and shoot camera for when an SLR isn't practical. The obvious exception to this being professional photographers who need a backup in case of a camera failure at a critical moment, eg weddings.

Though then you're looking at people with 5D level cameras.

If you don't need the bit of cash that the 20d is worth then you might as well keep hold just in case but personally I'd get rid and put the money towards something useful for the new camera.

Most pros will have more than one as a back up or with a different lens so they are not messing about changing lenses and possibly missing an important shot.I have a canon 60d as my main and a canon s120 when I can't be bothered with a big dslr.As above I would personally trade the 20d in and put that money towards better lenses

Thank you all for the advice with regards to good or bad on the Canon 1200D. This would be the first camera that I purchase brand new.

Hi Pip,my advice would be buy the best you can afford, consider a used earlier model and when buying a kit remember that the lenses supplied are not the best, and buy once and make it last. Would n,t argue with you choice of Manufacturer.

Hello one and all,

I have decided to go with the canon 1200d and keep my old 20d as a backup and dirt job camera. The company with the offer has not got many 1200d cameras left. I will be going down on Friday.

I got a 1200D for £199-00 on Black Friday. 18-55 DC lens inc. Not the best lens, no image stabilisation but I have put it on my old 350D. I already had a 18-55 IS lens plus a Tamron 70-300 and they work a treat on the 1200D. I was only offered £40 for my 350D in perfect working order, plus compact flash card and two batteries AND an EF 80-200 lens. I included the neck strap and charger as well. 40 quid for that lot ?? Harrisons must be joking. Just check out the price of a used 80-200 lens on their site................£40 !!! I would have accepted £80 but not £40.

I bought the 1200D and have to say that I am impressed with how the settings are displayed. The camera is teaching me some rather neat tricks and I especially like it for the video recording side. I am not use to having a camera that is all singing and dancing. Don't get me wrong, this is still a fairly basic piece of kit, but more advanced than my old Canon 20D, which is a fantastic camera, but now, sadly dated.

I also got the 18-55mm lens and a 70-300mm with the camera, both are good quality lenses, but again, there are more advanced models on the market. I do own a Sigma lens with IS switch, all of this helps to improve the craft and I am out and about once more, doing what I absolutely love, taking photographs.

Thanks for the message EUCLID 11