I'm finding it really difficult to find a job

Hi all

New poster please be gentle..feeling a bit sensitive.

Ok real long story real short...I'm long term unemployed ..due to health

issues ..which are now improved.

So I'm back on JSa and have been seeking employment for the past year..without much luck.

I have had quite a few interviews both face to face and over the telephone ...but I'm

just not getting the job.

I have varied my job search . from cleaning jobs , shop assistant , telephone advisers To to give myself a better chance of finding employment but to no avail.

It's really getting me down...I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong.

Is it my age , my lack of recent experience , the gap between working and not working being too long ,maybe employers don't see me as a good choice .

I don't have any qualifications which is also a big negative maybe , I don't know.

I keep redoing my Cv's so I can gain some interest , and they must be alright as

I get the interviews.

I'm sorry for the long post , I really need some good tips or advice , I am trying really hard .

Thanks for reading this .

Edited by klynne
missing word in sentence

Hi all

So I'm back on JSa and have been seeking employment for the past year..without much luck.

I have had quite a few interviews both face to face and over the telephone ...but I'm

I have varied my job search . from cleaning jobs , shop assistant , telephone advisers To to give myself a better chance of finding employment but to no avail.

Is it my age , my lack of recent experience , the gap between working and not working being too long ,maybe employers don't see me as a good choice .

I don't have any qualifications which is also a big negative maybe , I don't know.

I keep redoing my Cv's so I can gain some interest , and they must be alright as

I get the interviews.

I'm sorry for the long post , I really need some good tips or advice , I am trying really hard .

Hi, well done for conquering your health challenges, that alone demonstrates your determination! Think about what interests you... then go for some qualifications, it might open your eyes and give you new insights. Think about your USP... but be original. Think about what you want as opposed to just getting a job (if your lifestyle and circumstances allow you to)

Maybe it's time to re-brand yourself... Good luck!

How old are you roughly?

-

I would perhaps check out how many hours you could do as a volunteer without it affecting your allowance, and do some volunteering whilst looking. It'll look good for potential employers that you are working.

Edited by *_ash_*
i wonder if I can reel anna into the benefits thread

Hi all

I get the interviews.

If you are getting the interviews then it sounds like your CV is ok. Does the JobCentre offer interview training? Perhaps you aren't handling the interview side very well, maybe feeling understandably nervous? There might be some charities around who can do practice interviews with you.

When you leave an interview do you get a feeling of how it's gone? Do you often think you could have answered better?

Also, ALWAYS ask an employer for feedback after the interview (email or call them a few days later, not right at the end of the interview!), they will nearly always oblige and then you can start to see things from the employers side and work on those areas.

Hi Footietalk and thank you for your reply.

Yes I think your right about the re_branding myself , I tend to try and stick with

what I know ...which in my case isn't much.

But I am looking in to new things , I think the Telephone Advisers thing is the one that most interests me at the moment ...it's not physically demanding work but more mentally demanding , talking , putting info on to a computer screen maybe , being good at communication , maybe a could go on a Customer Service course or something.

Cheers.

P.S.

Thank you for the conquering my health issues comment , I really appreciate it.

NO one's ever giving me credit for that before ;)

Dont worry about it, because now the DWP are forcing the long term unemployed into working at least a thirty hour week.

I am in a very similar situation, I have lost count of the job applications i have sent off.

The number of interviews that have come out of those is very disappointing.

and these have come to nothing.

So now if you claim JSA to keep it you have to work at WHATEVER THEY GIVE YOU.

You don't have any choice in the matter.

Its crazy i know but that's how they work.

so suddenly the choice of what job you can do is taken away from you.

Yes I think your right about the re_branding myself , I tend to try and stick with

But I am looking in to new things , I think the Telephone Advisers thing is the one that most interests me at the moment ...it's not physically demanding work but more mentally demanding , talking , putting info on to a computer screen maybe , being good at communication , maybe a could go on a Customer Service course or something.

Cheers.

P.S.

Your welcome! Conquering health is the biggest challenge of all and most of the time goes unnoticed - especially when it's not happened to them. As a previous forum member said earlier... you might need to demonstrate excellence... especially confidence. As you'll know it's a competitive world out there... so the margin for success or not might be very tight. I'm not sure on your self confidence, just reading into your first post (could be totally wrong). You might think your confident but do you believe it (without sounding patronising)? There's a big difference. Just something to be mindful of - especially during the interviewing process.

Best of luck!

Cheers.

P.S.

For someone who is unqualified, you are very articulate in your writing. If you are not getting the jobs, then it might be you need to work on your interview skills i.e. make sure you come across verbally as well as you come across in writing.

All the best with your search. Easy for me to say but what would you rather have, your health or a job? Wishing you get both soon though :)

What atea of sheffield do you live?

---------- Post added 16-10-2015 at 16:42 ----------

Area? Do you drive?

Hello Klynne,

I was just wondering how you went on with the job hunting after putting this post on here? I have been out of work for over 5 years, due to health issues just like yourself. My situation has also changed and I am gradually getting myself back on my feet. Yes, those interviews keep happening and I am also getting the knock backs. It is so annoying, why won't anyone give me a chance.

So, I have enrolled on a College course to start in January which is also a massive part of my life, while I was recovering. I am doing a Photography course, then hoping to build up my career path and maybe look at Website-building/design etc. According to an employment adviser this should give me better stead with jobs.

I am 41 years old and still have not got my driving license back yet because of the medical issue. I WILL NOT GIVE UP, everyday is a new day and new prospects. Chin up.

Hello Klynne,

I was just wondering how you went on with the job hunting after putting this post on here? I have been out of work for over 5 years, due to health issues just like yourself. My situation has also changed and I am gradually getting myself back on my feet. Yes, those interviews keep happening and I am also getting the knock backs. It is so annoying, why won't anyone give me a chance.

So, I have enrolled on a College course to start in January which is also a massive part of my life, while I was recovering. I am doing a Photography course, then hoping to build up my career path and maybe look at Website-building/design etc. According to an employment adviser this should give me better stead with jobs.

I am 41 years old and still have not got my driving license back yet because of the medical issue. I WILL NOT GIVE UP, everyday is a new day and new prospects. Chin up.

It's a shame there isn't a 'like' button on the forum as I like this post. The very best in health and wealth (but make Health the priority :)).

Thank you for the comment Mr Roberts. I am currently job hunting as I type this, but noticed that your comment had come through on my email tab. I was taught to fight for what I want, and all I wanted was to be healthy and working so I can make my kids proud.